Not able to test via TELNET, new install

cglmicro

Oct 12, 2020
Hi guys.
I'm exploring PMG to replace MailCleaner, I'm trilled !!

My initial test was creating NDR, so I did further tests with telnet and here is my setup.

I'm filtering mail for many domains (incoming) that need to be delivered to different mail servers I run, so I enter nothing in PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > RELAYING > DEFAULT RELAY, and I left the port to 25.
I entered no domain in PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > RELAY DOMAINS.
I left port external to 25 and internal to 26.
I disabled greylisting for IPV4 in PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > OPTIONS and left everything to DEFAULT, except for the message size that I cranked up to 41943040 (40Mb).
In PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > TRANSPORT, I've added :
- relay domain: mycustomerdomain.com
- host: subdomain.mymailserver.com (it has a valid MX entry)
- Protocol: smtp
- port: 25
- use MX: yes
I didn't touch to the content of the other tabs.

I have TWO problem:
a) I was able to connect in "telnet proxmoxmg1.myserveraddress.com 25" the first time, but I receive a PROTOCOL error afet sending the command rcpt to, and now it doesn't answer from my home network.
b) I vpn to another network and was also able to "telnet myserveraddress.com 25", and I get the same error:
Code:
220-proxmoxmg1.localdomain proxmoxmg1.myserveraddress.com
helo cgl
250 proxmoxmg1.localdomain
mail from: info@randomdomain.com
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to: david@mycustomerdomain.com
550 5.5.1 Protocol error
data
554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients

Perte de la connexion à l’hôte. (in english mean lost connexion to the host)

As usual, your help will be appreciated, thank you.

Check the logs of the PMG while you try the telnet connection

also the helo command usually needs a fqdn (you used cgl without any domain)

The connection got rejected by postscreen - check out the documentation - that should explain why/what is going wrong:
http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html

I hope this helps!

Hi Stoiko.

For your knowledge and for other who will hit this thread with the same problem I had, I needed also to add the customer domain in PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > RELAY DOMAINS, not just in PMG > CONFIGURE > MAIL PROXY > TRANSPORT.

I'm continuing my tests, and thanks.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!