Not able to clone VM to LVM-Thin

ExtolCorp

Jan 28, 2020
Malaysia
www.extolcorp.com
Dear friends,

I am having some trouble while cloning VM to LVM-Thin, but able to place disk image in LVM-Thin. Please share your experience with me in regards to a similar encounter.

Proxmox Version:
6.2-4

Error:
UPID:dr01:00000B65:0000ECEE:5EE0A528:qmclone:1000:root@pam: 1 5EE0A6E4 clone failed: command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --options lv_size /dev/pve/vm-400-disk-0' failed: got timeout

LVM-Thin Capacity
1.7TB

Hardware:
DELL PowerEdge R710 (16 Cores, 64GB RAM)

Drive Type:
RAID5
500GB x 6 Units + 1spare

Attachments

• lvm-thin.png
    lvm-thin.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
  • lvm-thin-content.png
    lvm-thin-content.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 7
Dear friends,

I faced the same issue and posted a question in here but to no avail. I initially installed version 6.1-7 later upgraded to version 6.2-6. I found a workaround to this issue with a little trial and error session.

My finding;

1st situation - able to clone the source VM successfully while the VM is in running state, otherwise I get an error message like this "VM 100 qmp command failed - VM 100 not running"

2nd situation - able to clone the source VM successfully while the VM is in the stopped state, to do this I had left the "Qemu Agent" checkbox unticked under the "System" tab when I spun new VM.

LVM Configuration
LVM - 500GB
LVM-Thin 1.7TB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!