Noob: lvm-thin not mounted

Nate_LapT

Nov 11, 2021
Noob to proxmox... but my understanding lvm-thin data should be auto mounted to /var/lib/vz
All I'm getting is 100Gb and constantly running out of space when my backups run.
I don't know what I should be searching for to fix this, but I need the rest of my drivespace available.

What drives do your got and how do you set them up?
For LVM-thin it is important that you use discard everywhere (set it up for every VM/LXC virtual disk, set it up inside every guest and use a protocol like virtio SCSI that actually supports TRIM commands) or nothing will he freed up after deleting stuff.

What drives do your got and how do you set them up?
For LVM-thin it is important that you use discard everywhere (set it up for every VM/LXC virtual disk, set it up inside every guest and use a protocol like virtio SCSI that actually supports TRIM commands) or nothing will he freed up after deleting stuff.
Fresh install. 1Tb OS drive, 3x 2TB storage drives in Raidz

Proxmox 7 gives me 93GB of root, auto made 853.40 GB LVM-Thin "data" but from what I can tell "data" is not mounted at all.
From guides I found online says it's supposed to be my /var/lib/vz directory.

I'm no pro at linux, I know my way around the basics.. never touched thin drives though. Do I need to manually mount this, or is 7.0-8 broken?
Since this was auto created during the install I expected it to be configured. I find it odd that there are UI options for things you can only do via shell. As I've said I'm ok with Linux I used Gentoo back in 2005... but this surly isn't something a total noob could easily pick up.

Fresh install. 1Tb OS drive, 3x 2TB storage drives in Raidz

Proxmox 7 gives me 93GB of root, auto made 853.40 GB LVM-Thin "data" but from what I can tell "data" is not mounted at all.
From guides I found online says it's supposed to be my /var/lib/vz directory.
LVM-thin is not your usual partition. By default it should be set up as a VM/LXC storage only and every virtual disk will create its own blockdevice as a new LV. So its not meant to be mounted somewhere to store other data like backups on it.

For your 3x 2TB raidz1 you want to increase the volblocksize to atleast 16K or everything you store inside zvols will be 133% in size (because of padding overhead) so only 3TB would be useable. And a ZFS pool shouldn't be filled up more than 80% because of CoW, so right know that pool only got a usable capacity of 2.4 TB. If you set the volblocksize from the default 8K to 16K 4TB should be usable, or 3.2TB if you account the 20% that should be kept free.

So for backups or other files/folders and so on you only got that 93GB root or you could create a dataset on that ZFS pool and add it to proxmox as a storage of type "Directory" to save files like backups there.

Last edited:
hmm... I think I'm realizing some of my confusion... I had no intention of putting VMs on the drive where the "data" LVM-thin is. currently that's just a single 1Tb drive.
By default, the only space proxmox is letting me make backups is to my root 93GB LVM.
my VMs are in my zfs pool.

Should I also have a thin set in my zfs?

I assume these answers have been already discussed in a howto I'm missing to read..

Ok... after many many more hours of research :rolleyes:
I'm at the understanding, for my setup. I do not need/want the data thin provision. I have no intention of storing my VMs there, and it's creating a headache as the 93GB proxmox gives me by default keeps filling up anytime I make a backup of a single VM running on my ZFS drives. I intent to setup an external drive and or a network drive at a later point after I finish figuring out the basics of Proxmox. I need to get this setup without further issues before I ask the boss to buy more hardware.

If you don't want to store VMs on that system disk you can tell the PVE installer not to use it for that:

Advanced LVM Configuration Options​

The installer creates a Volume Group (VG) called pve, and additional Logical Volumes (LVs) called root, data, and swap. To control the size of these volumes use:
hdsize
Defines the total hard disk size to be used. This way you can reserve free space on the hard disk for further partitioning (for example for an additional PV and VG on the same hard disk that can be used for LVM storage).
swapsize
Defines the size of the swap volume. The default is the size of the installed memory, minimum 4 GB and maximum 8 GB. The resulting value cannot be greater than hdsize/8.
If set to 0, no swap volume will be created.
maxroot
Defines the maximum size of the root volume, which stores the operation system. The maximum limit of the root volume size is hdsize/4.
maxvz
Defines the maximum size of the data volume. The actual size of the data volume is:
datasize = hdsize - rootsize - swapsize - minfree
Where datasize cannot be bigger than maxvz.
In case of LVM thin, the data pool will only be created if datasize is bigger than 4GB.
If set to 0, no data volume will be created and the storage configuration will be adapted accordingly.
minfree
Defines the amount of free space left in the LVM volume group pve. With more than 128GB storage available the default is 16GB, else hdsize/8 will be used.
LVM requires free space in the VG for snapshot creation (not required for lvmthin snapshots).

Reactions: Nate_LapT
If you don't want to store VMs on that system disk you can tell the PVE installer not to use it for that:
Interesting...
I wish this was a bit more obvious in all the install guides I found.. The wiki page includes a screenshot for everything except this.
I totally glanced over the "see below for advance options"

I think I'm getting the hang of how all this works now... I just wish I didn't need to put in this much work to get this basic understanding how to configure and why it's done this way.. mix of lack of knowledge and experience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!