Noob backup strategy

Filikun

May 7, 2019
TL;DR Is copying the datastore (the files) of PBS to a remote destination a sufficient backup solution? Can I use them files to recreate my VM on a new system if the old fails? How can approach automatically running a rclone command when a backup is done without knowing anything about scripting in Linux or what hook script is.

Hi there, I've been trying to learn Proxmox and the world of Linux for about a year now and have an old Intel nuc as my Proxmox machine mainly using it for a Home Assistant OS VM and a Ubuntu server VM with some docker containers. For the first time I feel I need to start looking at backup soluations as I've just started up with a self hosted Bookstack.

So here is what I've done. I run PBS on the host and does backups to USB-HDD that is connected to the nuc. I've also installed and configured Rclone to sync my USB-HDD with my OneDrive account. So on OneDrive I now have .cunk dir, vm, dir, .gc-status file, .lock file. Is this enough as a remote backup? Can I somehow use these files to recreate my VM and their files on a new Proxmox server if mine where to go down? My rclone command looking like this
Code:
rclone sync /mnt/datastore/usb-backup/ onedrive:PBS --progress --progress-terminal-title
I guess as I do a sync and not a copy that when Proxmox Backup Server starts to prune, my OneDrive will also prune them backups that are overdue?

If that is sufficient how can I automate that command to run when a Proxmox backup is done? I've seen a lot of talk about crontab and hook scripts but to be honest I have no clue either where to put a script nor what to type in it.

Thanks in advance, I know this questions is on an absolute noob level and that many of you think this is basic knowledge but I really want to learn this and having searched around now for some time I haven't really found anything that I could understand.

Can I use them files to recreate my VM on a new system if the old fails?
You will need a PBS server to restore a VM.

If you try to sync the datastore to another storage, make sure that hidden files and directories are included!

In a disaster case, you could install a fresh PBS, sync back the data and the /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg file. As right now, the tooling itself does not allow to import an existing datastore.

You could also setup a second PBS and use the built in sync feature to sync the datastore.

Reactions: Filikun
You will need a PBS server to restore a VM.

If you try to sync the datastore to another storage, make sure that hidden files and directories are included!

In a disaster case, you could install a fresh PBS, sync back the data and the /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg file. As right now, the tooling itself does not allow to import an existing datastore.

You could also setup a second PBS and use the built in sync feature to sync the datastore.

Thanks a lot for taking your time and clearing this up for me. I think I'll actually remove PBS and just use the ordinary backup functionality to my USB-drive and then sync that to the cloud instead. I found this and will try that out. The output of that script on the cloud drive looks much like it does on the Proxmox server host, it's just a .zst per VM backup.

PBS looks amazing though but I'll move to that when I can use it on a dedicated machine rather than on the Proxmox server host (as intended).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!