node root pve-root 100% full - delete log - autoremove now need to extend root

GoZippy

Nov 27, 2020
www.gozippy.com
So this caused all sorts of issues and node would not update then it froze up bad... restarted and it would not reconnect... got on local and saw it was up but out of root partition space...

ssh to the node

apt-get autoremove failed... no space

everything I did failed...

I found several threads here talking about resizing or otherwise but nothing outright simple to make space...

I did
Code:
find / -type f -size +20000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": " $5 }'

and saw the log files eating up much of the 20GB partition

Code:
/var/log/daemon.log: 3.1G
/var/log/syslog: 3.1G
/var/log/ceph/ceph-osd.4.log: 2.1G

So - I googled all over the place to see if I can trim or otherwise edit the config but I got lost looking for how to trim these...

ultimately I just did the unthinkable.. I deleted the entire ceph log.. so be it.. saved 2gig right there...

then I was able to do the

apt-get autoremove

and it finished...

seems to have temporarily fixed my issues but worried now how and why these things are allowed to grow so big and not get trimmed so as to not kill the node with just logs... seems like a bug that can be sorted with some checks...

now I want to figure out how to extend the root...

ideas?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!