Node in grey mode (question mark) up to 7 days

Ivan Gersi

May 29, 2016
I have 5 nodes cluster.
Pve1 was upgraded from 6.0.1 to 6.4-15, Pve4 has fresh install from 6.4-4, rest pves have 6.0.1.
Pve1 working properly.
But pve4 has a strange problem...during 7 days goes to "grey mode". I`m able to connect to pve4 via web shell, I`m able to connect via ssh. I can see all nodes on via pvecm status, all VM are running on Pve4 and I can connect them remotly.
When I restart pve-cluster service node and VM are green via web again.
I can`t see any ssuspiciously record in logs.
Any ideas?

No, because I have not enough resources for destabilizing another node. This is 24/7 traffic and I have to have 100% safety I`ll have a stable node afer upgrade.
Pve4 is extremly unstable from fresh install and I`m not able to fix it.
This is part of log from yesterday restarting.
Nov 13 11:21:00 pve4 systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Nov 13 11:21:01 pve4 systemd[1]: pvesr.service: Succeeded.
Nov 13 11:21:01 pve4 systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Nov 13 15:01:54 pve4 kernel: [
0.000000] Linux version 5.4.106-1-pve (build@pve) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP PVE 5.4.106-1 (Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:08:47 +0100) ()
Nov 13 15:01:54 pve4 systemd-modules-load[597]: Inserted module 'iscsi_tcp'

May be
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/log/pveproxy
I've seen it before.

Last edited:
I for one have found that the problem may be improperly mounted resources. Unmounting the resources from the node level helped.

umount -f /mnt/pve/storage
or
umount -l /mnt/pve/storage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!