Node hdd salvage - pve local-lvm renamed - cannot boot in VM

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
I attempted to load the data from a pulled hdd - tried to mount it only to find PVE complain about pve already existing when mounting the drive to a folder to browse.

vgdisplay
vgrename <VG UUID> new_name
modprobe dm-mod
vgchange -ay
lvscan
mount /dev/new_name/root /mnt/data/

So I used this to rename the hdd's pve lvm to something else. After adding the drive as a lvm-local I tried to browse the data, but I just found shortcuts to disk images.
It dawned on me that I should passthrough the disk to a VM to try and run PVE in a VM to copy/salvage the data.

When I passed through the disk the boot complained it couldn't find pve.
Before I tried to passthrough the disk I tried to rename it back, but it already existed on the system I already have pve installed, where I was trying to recover the disk data from.

So, I'm not sure how I can put things back in working order so I can load the disk in a VM and get the data off.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!