Nod3 HS - Cluster : Hostname lookup 'nod3' failled

rospionne

Apr 16, 2020
In my test simulations,
I intentionally crashed the nod3 on a 3-node cluster to simulate the definitive death of node 3. I completely reinstalled the nod3 so that it is like "new" and virgin. With the new name 'nod3b' and a new IP address. My VMs have their disk on CEPH.

The goal of the game is to set up a procedure for replacing a node that is the least dangerous. If I delete an OSD by mistake, the VMs become unavailable. A monitor, the CEPH cluster collapses. To limit this risk, before removing 'node3' from the cluster and adding the replacement 'nod3b' to have a margin of error per critical service.

However, when I go to the datacenter, "Cluster" section. The buttons are blocked by an error message: Hostname lookup 'nod3' failled - failed to get address info for: nod3: Name or service not known (500)

Do I have to remove the 'nod3' first with the risk of manipulation that this implies or is there a safer procedure? Otherwise, is there a way to keep the availability of these buttons so that I can add the 'nod3b' and have the possibility to remove 'nod3' later?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

My solution alternative, to make this error disappear is to still use the command:
Code:
pvecm delnode nod3

After running the command, the error is no longer. I checked if CEPH still showed the 'nod3' and that I could still intervene on the OSD later. The answer is 'YES'.

Note: once this command is executed, remember to delete all traces of the 'nod3' node in the files, once you have finished clearing CEPH.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!