No ZFS on PVE Install Over Debian

Frozen Pizza

Feb 11, 2019
Hi, I'm a new, ignorant user evaluating Proxmox 5.3 over a full Debian Stretch install. Most things seem fine and I think I have cleared the hurdles but I don't have ZFS.

In the GUI when I click on ZFS I get an error saying that zfsutils-linux is not installed. From the command line there are no ZFS commands.

Is it normal for the PVE ZFS packages to not be installed in this scenario? I know that on a normal headless install, ZFS works fine.

I tried to install zfs-dkms from the Debian repos after getting the pve headers but that ultimately failed and it seems like the wrong solution.

How can I install the Proxmox-supplied ZFS? Thank You.

Is it not possible to install the Proxmox ZFS onto Debian? I'm aware that this is seamless when installing Proxmox from its own installer.

I'm still interested in learning how to install the Proxmox ZFS manually onto Debian. It won't be necessary for the root fs to be ZFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!