[SOLVED] No way to access my server anymore

GzD

Apr 1, 2021
France
Hi,

I have a server with a single GPU I use to passthrough a VM. To accomplish this I followed the official guide (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough) and everything work fine so far but because the driver of the GPU is blacklisted I have no local shell anymore.
Today I tried to make some changes on the network configuration through the PVE's WebGUI and made a mistake because yet I cannot access to the server through that WebGUI nor through SSH.

For now I haven't find any mean to access my server locally because of the 1st statement I've exposed: what could I do to get a local access to the server and make manually the changes in /etc/network/interfaces ?
Is there any "safe mode" I could trigger during boot in order to make the shell to be reachable ?

Here are the attempts I made:
  • I have tried to switch my BIOS to legacy mode in order to avoid the configuration for the GPU to be applied but without success;
  • I have tried the "rescue mode" from the ISO but without success (because the boot is obviously not broken);
  • I have tried a Ubuntu live DVD in order to try to update /etc/network/interfaces prior to reboot on PVE but ZFS is not natively installed (and I was a bit afraid for installing something and eventually broke the pool).
I am currently out of ideas and I would prefer to do not break everything...
Thank you for help.

Best regards,

GzD

The Ubuntu live CD was a good try :) From what I know, this CDs should include ZFS. However, another possibility would be to use the PVE Installer ISO, enter the debug mode and chroot into your "broken" installation.

Reactions: mooselips
Thank you for your answer Lorenz.S.

I did try with the PVE Installer in debug mode but it fails anytime to go to the second shell (when I leave the first one with Ctrl+D) and the system get stuck.
But I gave another shot to Ubuntu (21.04 this time versus 20.04 for my previous attempt) and this time all the flags of the pool are well supported and I have been able to import it using the command:
Bash:
zpool import -f -R /mnt rpool
Then I did fix the issue I had introduced using chroot as you mentioned and editing the config file.

Problem solved. Thank you again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!