No sound from VMs in virt-viewer (SPICE) on proxmox host

alimhan

Aug 21, 2024
I'm trying to get sound from VMs on my Proxmox home server (XFCE, chromium, virt-viewer).
VMs run various linux systems (debian 11, 12, xubuntu etc.).
I added audio device to VM (tested all variants of ich9-intel-hda, intel-hda, ac97) and set SPICE as a backend driver.
SPICE sessions work great but without sound. However, VLC and Chromium playback sound without problem.
I noticed the button with a musical note icon in the top menu of virt-viewer is inactive (see below), but I don't know how to enable it.
I'd appreciate any help.

Proxmox 8.2.2 host:
System:
Kernel: 6.8.4-2-pve arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 Console: pty pts/0 DM: LightDM
v: 1.26.0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Raptor Lake High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel
bus-ID: 1-5:5 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 0db0:d1d7 chip-ID: 8086:7a50 class-ID: 0300
class-ID: 0403
Device-2: Micro Star USB Audio type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
API: ALSA v: k6.8.4-2-pve status: kernel-api
Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active (root, process)

Attachments

• vm1.png
    vm1.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
I've installed additional gstreamer packages on Proxmox host and now the sound is working fine from all VMs via SPICE:
gstreamer1.0-alsa​
gstreamer1.0-pipewire​
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base​
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good​
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio​
Don't know which package helped, but the problem is solved.
The button with a musical note icon in Remote Viewer menu (virt-viewer) is still inactive, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!