No sound from Proxmox pve VMs

chb

Aug 24, 2022
My PVE VMs don't output any sound. What do I need to configure to get sound output from my windows and linux VMs?

Add an virtual Audio Device and set SPICE for display and use a SPICE client to view the VM. Note that noVNC does not support sound and also some SPICE client versions on Windows did not output sound. You might also need to setup the audio device inside the VM and that depends on the operating system, but usually it just works (when using SPICE).

Last edited:
For Windows VM consider using RDP and enable Audio. RDP can pass through quite a bit, like local folder, printers and RS232 ports ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!