[SOLVED] no route to host

Dec 19, 2020
Hi!

I am unsure, if this is a Proxmox problem or not, but I do not get it to work.

I have a VM running Rocky Linux, the firewall in Proxmox is off and also local iptables of the VM is set to let everything pass.
I can connect to the web service that the VM is running without a problem, but when I want connect via SSH I get:
"ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.8 port 22: No route to host"
Also SSH on the VM is correctly setup and is listening to port 22.

Is there any other network setting I can modify in Proxmox to make it work?
Does anyone have an idea?

Regards,
prahn

Do a tcpdump -ni any port 22 inside your VM and try to SSH into it. Check if you see incoming and or outgoing packets

It would look like a Rocky Linux / VM issue.

What does this show inside VM:

sudo systemctl status sshd

By default Rocky Linux (like most distros) blocks root access from SSH. Have you tried using the correct user to access or by overriding with the PermitRootLogin yes

Yes, Ping to the VM works without a problem. Also the Webservice on the VM is running fine.
I tried to SSH from the VM to another machine, no problem at all. Also Ping does work.

Can't help you much here - don't use Rocky Linux - but are you sure you are using iptables at all - maybe you are on firewalld . See here. You probably know more about this than me, I assume.

Reactions: prahn
watch your syslog for blocked / dropped packets:

journalctl -f

while trying ssh connection.

Also can you connect from the rocky linux instance to itself?

user@rocky:# ssh -v 192.168.1.8

watch your syslog for blocked / dropped packets:

journalctl -f

while trying ssh connection.

Also can you connect from the rocky linux instance to itself?

user@rocky:# ssh -v 192.168.1.8
Also Output from ss -tlpen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!