No PVE boot after temporary boot from other OS

SpiritedCaribou

Mar 18, 2023
Hi,
I am trying to use PVE for the very first time. I currently run various docker containers and Samba file sharing on a server running Debian.
To test PVE, I disconnect my Debian HD, and connect a different HD for PVE. PVE installs without issue and the system reboots into PVE normally. PVE will boot without issue if I disconnect and then reconnect t he PVE HD.
However, if I boot from the Debian HD (or Clonezilla), when I try to reboot into PVE I get an error message that no OS was detected. It's as if the computer has no problem with PVE until I temporarily boot something else, and then the computer refuses to recognize the PVE OS (even if it's the only HD connected).
I have tried switching up all the available options in the motherboard. No luck.
I have installed the PVE HD in a laptop and it boots, so I know it's not corrupted. It's like the computer is offended from me temporarily booting another OS and is retaliating by refusing to recognize the PVE OS again.

Does anyone have any clues on how I can troubleshoot/fix this issue?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!