No proxmox-ve after PVE7to8 upgrade HELP!

alexinux

Aug 21, 2023
Hi all,

I have a stand-alone system and I'm upgrading from an external HDD. I went from 7.1 to 7.4 no problem but when going from 7.4 to 8 I had the "proxmox-ve" must be removed to proceed warning. I checked and had no linux-images to remove or anything else so I decided to proceed and then afterwards reinstall any removed packages. Afterwards I try the "apt install -f proxmox-ve" and I get the errors like on the attached photo. Is there any way of reinstalling the proxmox-ve without wiping everything? I backed-up the VMs and before the upgrade I tried migrating to a PVE8 node but it didnt allow me, I guess compatibility issues. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, I see all .conf files in there and each disk the VMs have so I can move/restore them manually to the other node. All I have is the shell to work with but I have no webgui to start the VMs or anything.

Attachments

• Error1.JPG
    Error1.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 17
  • PVE.jpg
    PVE.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 15
so I decided to proceed and then afterwards reinstall any removed packages.
That warning was to prevent you from proceeding because something was wrong (usually wrong repos).
Check all repos in "/etc/apt/sources.list" as well as all files in the folder "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/". You will probably still find a repo with "bullseye" or "buster" in it but all should be "bookworm".
Or you once ran a "apt upgrade" screwing up your dependencies (as only apt dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade are safe to use).
Or you got ceph installed but didn't upgraded it before upgrading to PVE8.
Forth common mistake would be to not remove the debian kernel, but you said you have already checked that.

Last edited:
recheck your sources.list files, also in /etc/sources.list.d/*.list (all bookworm, sign keys working), does apt update work without problems?
try to update libc and dependencies first

When I upgraded to 7.4 all my repos where "bullseye" and when trying to go to 8.0.x I changed them to "bookworm", also adding the ceph repo because it wouldnt let me upgrade without it (pve7to8 kept giving me an error that I needed ceph). When I went ahead and removed proxmox-ve, i got the kernel and everything else fine, but there where 54-56 packages that were "held back" from upgrading.

The error that "apt install proxmox-ve" kept giving me were of some "lib" package, qemu-server" package and some other package but when looking at the dependencies of these I saw that I needed specific versions of libc6, perl, perlapi and libssl installed first to install them. Since I'm using an external HDD as a local mirror and I recently created debian, bullseye, bookworm and proxmox mirrors that it wouldnt be a problem. I guess I'll have to manually download and install these small packages to then install proxmox-ve again.

Any more guidance/help is greatly appreciated...

From your picture, with the example of: perl:
Version that is needed: 5.36.0-7 -> https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/perl
Version that is available: 5.32.1-4+deb11u2 -> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/perl

So, like the other posters already said, I would also say that you either have the repository sources configured wrong and/or there is a problem with/on your:
external HDD as a local mirror

I have no knowledge with local mirrors, but in general the full output each of:
  • apt list --installed | grep linux-image
  • grep -r '' /etc/apt/sources.list* (do not forget the: * at the end!)
  • apt update
  • apt full-upgrade
might be helpful...

Additionally, you state:
I have a stand-alone system
and then you show a picture of a two node cluster?

Version that is available: 5.32.1-4+deb11u2 -> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/perl

So, like the other posters already said, I would also say that you either have the repository sources configured wrong and/or there is a problem with/on your:

• apt update
  • apt full-upgrade
might be helpful...

Additionally, you state:

So I should keep the "bullseye" repo(s) because I need these packages?

The local mirror(s). was made through apt-mirror on a connected system and works like the regular repos but you dont have the http/https/ftp portion, you just mount your ext hdd and point your /etc/apt/sources.list to it/them.

I have a stand-alone cluster that is not connected to the internet. One is the primary but was 7.1 and the other I could just make it 7.4 and then 8.0 without the same warnings errors. It think it didnt let me migrate the VMs because of the version difference although it did let me form the cluster between them.

I'll try what was advise and let you know more.... thanks for the tips

No your screenshot tells you that "5.36.0-7" is required which is shipped by "bookworm" but all your server got access to is "5.32.1-4+deb11u2" from the "bullseye" repo. So there should still be a "bullseye" repo being used you forgot to replace with "bookworm".

Reactions: Neobin
No your screenshot tells you that "5.36.0-7" is required which is shipped by "bookworm" but all your server got access to is "5.32.1-4+deb11u2" from the "bullseye" repo. So there should still be a "bullseye" repo being used you forgot to replace with "bookworm".
Is there a way to clean whatever apt update got so I can redo the command pointing to the correct repos?

No; my conclusion from above is, that apt can only find the package versions from: bullseye, but not the needed ones from: bookworm.

One is the primary but was 7.1 and the other I could just make it 7.4 and then 8.0 without the same warnings errors.

So you already upgraded one node successfully to PVE 8 using the exact same steps and your local mirror?

As said, the above requested outputs would be really helpful...

• apt update
  • apt full-upgrade
might be helpful...

Additionally, you state:

Sorry for the late reply, couldnt get into the office to do this until now. Attached is everything I did with the commands and the outputs. It did give me an error with "apt full-upgrade" regarding something broken but I could manage it. I did get stuck with "initramfs-tools" and could not get past it. The "apt update" only gives me errors regarding translations. And the sources still have "bullseye" but they are commented, if there are still enabled somewhere else then I dont know.

Attachments

• sourceslist.JPG
    sourceslist.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox5.JPG
    proxmox5.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox1.JPG
    proxmox1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox3.JPG
    proxmox3.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox2.JPG
    proxmox2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox6.JPG
    proxmox6.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox7.JPG
    proxmox7.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 5
  • proxmox4.JPG
    proxmox4.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 5
No; my conclusion from above is, that apt can only find the package versions from: bullseye, but not the needed ones from: bookworm.

So you already upgraded one node successfully to PVE 8 using the exact same steps and your local mirror?

As said, the above requested outputs would be really helpful...

Attachments

• proxmox4.JPG
    proxmox4.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • proxmox6.JPG
    proxmox6.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
  • proxmox7.JPG
    proxmox7.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 1
  • proxmox2.JPG
    proxmox2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 2
  • proxmox3.JPG
    proxmox3.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 1
  • proxmox1.JPG
    proxmox1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1
  • sourceslist.JPG
    sourceslist.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
  • proxmox5.JPG
    proxmox5.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• sourceslist.JPG
    sourceslist.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 3
  • proxmox2.JPG
    proxmox2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 3
Maybe your local APT mirror mirrors the wrong repos?
This is my apt-mirror output. I comment and uncomment because I download Debian, Ubuntu and Proxmox packages but it has all the repos of the respective distro.

Attachments

• apt-mirror1.JPG
    apt-mirror1.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 7
  • apt-mirror2.JPG
    apt-mirror2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 7
You need to fix your sources, apt update and apt full-upgrade -d should run without problems.

For the install proxmox-boot-tool is missing, so temporarily copy /bin/true.

cp -a /bin/true /usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!