No networking on Startup (Systemd)

CTCcloud

Renowned Member
Apr 6, 2012
Just installed Proxmox VE 4.0 fresh on a Dell R720 dual Octo Core 192GB Memory server with 6 Network Interface cards 2 10Gb Intel, 2 1Gb Intel, and 2 10Gb Broadcom

First thing I did was to re-order the NICs via the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file.
I then re-applied the Proxmox VE Enterprise license to bring the machine up to the same Proxmox package versions as the rest of the cluster nodes we have in service.

I also created bridges for the NICs for VM use later. Finally, I installed the Dell OMSA 8.3 packages for Dell server administration.

I did an apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade to bring it current and rebooted. After reboot, I had no networking. I thought at first I'd misconfigured something in the /etc/network/interfaces but no, it was perfect. I started the networking service and all the networking came up. I did a couple of more reboots and same thing, had to start the networking service manually in order to bring up networking. I then started looking through dmesg and found the following:

[ 5.502405] systemd[1]: Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
[ 5.502411] systemd[1]: Found dependency on sysinit.target/start
[ 5.502416] systemd[1]: Found dependency on networking.service/start
[ 5.502421] systemd[1]: Found dependency on openvswitch-switch.service/start
[ 5.502425] systemd[1]: Found dependency on basic.target/start
[ 5.502430] systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job networking.service/start
[ 5.502435] systemd[1]: Job networking.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with basic.target/start

It seems that something is broken in Systemd and during startup it's deleting the networking.service but I admittedly am still a big time novice when it comes to Systemd so am not sure how this got broken and where to fix it and if it's a bug I'm sure someone can say so and I'd be more than happy to file a bug report if it comes down to that. Either way, I can't see it being logical to reinstall Proxmox and have to re-issue and re-apply the enterprise license when I could end up with the same outcome so am wondering how to fix it instead.

Thanks in advance for any help

Output of Journalctl -alb ---- where the problem starts

Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd-sysv-generator[1003]: Ignoring creation of an alias umountiscsi.service for itself
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit display-manager.service, ignoring: Unit display-manager.service failed to load: No s
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Found dependency on sysinit.target/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Found dependency on networking.service/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Found dependency on openvswitch-switch.service/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Found dependency on basic.target/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job networking.service/start
Aug 24 16:15:02 PMX-72-CN4 systemd[1]: Job networking.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with basic.target/start

can you try to remove the openvswitch-switch package with purge and reinstall it?

I removed the openvswitch-switch package with apt-get remove --purge

I rebooted the server and networking is coming up fine now ... I'm not using openvswitch right now so I'll leave it uninstalled for now

Thank you very much

What gave you the clue that that package might be the issue?

Ok, but was openvswitch so problematic before Systemd? Or are the problems more now that Systemd is involved? I mean, I'm sure it's not for no reason that Devuan exists ...

Yes, devuan exists, yet there is not that much support or media presence. Every major distribution has switched to systemd, so...

this has nothing to do with systemd, but openvswitch changed some configuration from version <2.5 and >=2.5 so purging and reinstalling helps in this special case

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!