No networking ability on v4.4 in base OS (but not the case in VM's)

budgetcreep2012

Jun 21, 2017
Hey there,

Ive got a Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F (4 ethernet ports + IPMI manager) with v4.4 of ProxMox. Ive tried everything I can think of the get the install to access the WAN (for instance to download a template; it has no networking at all) but it wont have it. However, the internet seems to work just fine with the virtual NIC and therefore works in the VM enviroments. I have set all incoming in IPTABLES to ACCEPT
----------
the contents of my /etc/network/interfaces are:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
< missing eth0 for some reason; ive seen this in a couple threads now
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.28
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
------------
dmesg | grep "Ethernet" returns a functioning Intel (R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver.

Why can't I access the internet in the "on bear metal" OS but I can on the VM's?

can you post the output of
Code:
ip addr
and
Code:
ip link
?

our default configuration includes a bridge, where eth0 is attached to, what you see is the default and perfectly normal.
cf https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

now to debug your network:
* try to ping the gateway
* if you can ping the gateway. ping and oustide server like 8.8.8.8 ( DNS server from google)
* if you can ping 8.8.8.8 but can't download from the host you have your DNS misconfigured, go in the Datacenter tab opetions and check what is there

you mark this thread as closed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!