No Network on fresh installed Proxmox VE 7.2-3

aasimenator

Jan 18, 2022
Mumbai, India
Hello,

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Tiny PC's running i3 7th Gen and 16 GB DDR4 RAM, I am setting up a virtual environment for my home lab. I want to install pfSense on this machine, but since there is only 1 onboard NIC and no possibility of expansion I purchased a 1 Gig USB 3.0 NIC and added it to the machine, Now the installation detects the NIC and installs Proxmox without any problems but after if I shutdown the server I can no longer connect to it via network unless I log in on physically via console and send systemctl restart networking command

I've read through the forums but I couldn't find anything that makes sense to me so I am attaching the journalctl & dmesg output in this post hopefully someone can help me figure this out.

My plan is to use the Onboard NIC for Internet connection and the USB NIC for local network access via pfSense, another reason for using the onboard NIC for Internet was because it is a PCI device I can pass it through directly for WAN in pfSense

Attachments

• journal.txt
    124.9 KB · Views: 3
  • dmesg.txt
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hey,

could you post the output of ip a and cat /etc/network/interfaces? There is a chance the interface name might have changed.

May 18 21:39:24 pve-clu0 networking[615]: error: vmbr0: bridge port enxf8e43b3eb4b0 does not exist
this also points toward the interface name not matching the one in the interfaces file.

I formatted the system and removed proxmox installed pfSense directly as host.
it seems like the USB nic was erroring out with the error message 'MAC address is invalid generating random' or something along that line, maybe that was the cause.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!