No network for some transferred VirtualBox VM's

GaryV

Mar 12, 2022
New user and my first post, be gentle... :) I have a fresh install of 7.1-10 running on ASUS ROG B450MB and a Ryzen 5600G w 48Gig Ram, mirrored SSD's for boot and a "data" SSD for VM storage. I am transferring VirtualBox VM's over with the final hopes of killing VB. I'm using the RAW image format to move them, most are Ubuntu OS, some server some desktop.

Several VM's transferred almost shockingly easy. They are up and fully functional, on the network, apps are running, web services up and reachable, I am happy. PiHole, SmokePing, and Observium all running great...

A couple other VM's wind up with no assigned DHCP IP address even though I followed the same migration process and regardless of what I do. I'm not using any fancy network setup, no extra bridges, no multiple adapters, it's a single interface and a /24 private IP subnet in my home, all VM's are assigned by default to vmbr0 and using the virtio driver.

My most important IP-challenged VM move is my NextCloud VM. This NextCloud Ubuntu VM starts, but has no IP. I ran the "grep -i virtio /boot/config-$(uname -r)" command to see if the virtio driver is in the VM image I'm transfering over, it looks like it's not, as I get an "=m" result from the command.

I tried using the 3 other Proxmox-selectable driver types (vmxnet, etc) to no avail, still no assigned IP. Solution "seems" to be that I download the virtio driver and go through 20 some commands to install it and recompile the kernel. I am waaaaaaay out of my element with that. Is there anything I've missed in the process, or perhaps an easier way to move this Ubuntu 21.04 NextCloud VM from VirtualBox to Proxmox??

(see attached qm config and /etc/network/interfaces outputs)

Thanks much for your review and consideration,
Gary

Attachments

• Proxmox command output.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot from 2022-03-12 10-19-04.png
    Screenshot from 2022-03-12 10-19-04.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
hi,

* in your nextcloud VM your interface is set to "DOWN". what happens if you run ip link set ens18 up ?

* can you try with a e1000 interface model?

* does it work if you try setting a static IP?

* i'd also check for failing services inside the non-working VMs journals

hope this helps!

Thank you kindly for your reply! As a Proxmox newbie, I’m encouraged as I had checked/used the first 3 things you’ve suggested already so feel I’m learning appropriately, but the VM still not working. I’ll take a look at the logs and see what I can discover. Not giving up yet! Thanks again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!