[SOLVED] No network connectivity after Fresh Proxmox 7 install

We tried to convey it quite explicitly in the upgrade how-to, and that how-to is heavily recommend getting read and followed closely before and during upgrade, to avoid as many pitfalls on the way.
But we'll see if we can further improve this, possibly adding a hint to the pve6to7 checker script.
Please note that we are talking about installing a new server, not a migration from 6 to 7.

I think that it would be a VERY helpful and good idea for the Proxmox install script to just clone the physical NIC's MAC on the bridge interface, when doing the initial install/setup.

Or maybe add a bolded text phrase on the install UI -> Network setup page, where is mentioned that one should clone the NIC's MAC address to the bridge interface after installation if there's no network connectivity.

This will help Proxmox avoid a ton of future topics (like mine) from users that are MAC-restricted by their ISP (which is basically 90% of ISPs I guess?).

Hi,

I had PVE 7.0.4 beta installed (at Hetzner). Everything worked there --> after I added the MAC address from ens3 to the bridge. I just updated to 7.0.10. After the update the MAC address of VMBR0 has changed. I can´t change the MAC address with ifreload -a or ifdown vmbr0; ifup vmbr0. I get the error "error: netlink: vmbr0: cannot address 193.xx.xxx.xxx/24 dev vmbr0: arguent of type IPNETWORK is not iterable.
How did you installed the Beta? For future installs, I highly recommend you to install via ISO, not via Hetzner's "automated installs" (you can ask Hetzner for KVM + a USB stick with Proxmox 7).

Regarding your network config, it's a bit messed up. Here's a simple example that will work:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# Loopback

iface enp7s0 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 162.XXX.100.XXX/26
        hwaddress 7c:10:XX:1d:52:XX
        gateway 162.XXX.100.XXX
        bridge-ports enp7s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Proxmox - Default

This is enough. Change the NIC name, IP address etc and reboot. Don't add anything else. If something goes wrong get back with a reply to this thread. :)

My issue is
1 - Install clean with proxmox-ve_7.0-1 ISO
2 - All fine here so I just update and reboot
3 - After reboot NO network at all.
Promox do we have any update planned for ISO 7.x install for clean and normal in near future please ?

Last edited:
My issue is
1 - Install clean with proxmox-ve_7.0-1 ISO
2 - All fine here so I just update and reboot
3 - After reboot NO network at all.
Promox do we have any update planned for ISO 7.x install for clean and normal in near future please ?
A new ISO release (proxmox-ve_7.0-2.iso) was uploaded recently.
It includes a newer ifupdown2 package with a policy configured by us to ensure the MAC address is bound to the first slave-port, similar in effect compared to how our older, not circumvented, kernel patch worked.

Reactions: khampol
A new ISO release (proxmox-ve_7.0-2.iso) was uploaded recently.
It includes a newer ifupdown2 package with a policy configured by us to ensure the MAC address is bound to the first slave-port, similar in effect compared to how our older, not circumvented, kernel patch worked.
Great I think i was just be in few minutes ago. I ll try for sure. Thanks!
Updated on 07 September 2021

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!