No network access after latest update

int-tech01

Oct 24, 2023
Hello,

I have a PBS server and just updated it to the latest updates via the web gui. Now, The main network interface does not come up. I logged in via the console (iDrac) and can see this over and over again.

1712954107057.png

ip a shows me this:

1712954147540.png

The NIC in question is en04.

The only thing that was done was an update and a reboot.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Your nic isn't able to establish physical link with the swtich. I would swap network cable and check the switch port information and configuration. Maybe it was working half duplex before the update and after the reboot it can't link any more.

So I have no idea what happened. I walked away, had some dinner and a movie, came back to check on this post, and now everything is working. Could it have been something with the switch it was connected to? It is remote in a datacenter, so I was making plans in my head already about making a trip. But it's fixed without me doing anything....

Ask someone in the datacenter to replace the ethernet cable and check the statistics for that switch port. Something not ok and the problem will happen again eventually.

Agreed. I also have extra NICs on the server, so it would probably be a good idea to hook up more cables from the "spare" NICs to the switch. I can leave them in a disconnected/down state, but could enable them via idrac if this would ever happen again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!