No mouse pointer on physical server

Dec 6, 2019
Lo,

I just installed Proxmox VE 6.1 on a DL380pG8 for testing/OTA purposes. Because I'd like to have the full Buster functionality available, including a Desktop environment, I first installed Debian Buster 10.2, setup Xfce and made sure everything worked correctly (including the mouse). Then I followed https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster to the letter. Proxmox is working fine, however, when using Xfce on the physical server itself, the mouse pointer isn't visible anymore. I can tell the mouse itself is alive because pressing the right mouse button shows a menu.

Looking at various logfiles didn't reveal anything obvious.

What could have happened?

Tnx!

hmm - could you try booting the installer (just hit abort at the first screen) - does the mouse-pointer show there?
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2506 - some users have similar issues in the installer - could be related

else check the journal, and depending on your display manager it's logs (probably in /var/log/ or in ~/.local/share/) , along with ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

I hope this helps!

I actually already tried that: booting the Proxmox VE 6.1 installer also doesn't show the mouse pointer on this hardware...

I also tried the trick mentioned in that bugzilla report (creating a new xorg.conf with only SWcursor true) but in that case X won't start at all.

EDIT: I must have made a typo somewhere because in fact the SWcursor true does work indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Great that you resolved the issue!
Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - it helps others (especially people who are running into this right now, by upgrading to 6.1)
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!