[SOLVED] No IP in CT or VM

aporzio1

Jan 23, 2022
Had an issue where Proxmox wouldn't boot so I updated the kernel and now none of my containers or VMs will start. If I make a new linux bridge and assign it to the container they will start but will not get an IP through DHCP and if I assign an IP it has no connection to the network.

Proxmox is on 7.1 and the kernel is 5.15.19-2-pve

here is my /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp5s0
iface enp5s0 inet manual

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 192.168.1.142/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports enp5s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
Here is the config for the manual IP
arch: amd64
features: fuse=1
hostname: Plex
memory: 16384
net1: name=eth1,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=192.168.1.1,hwaddr=DE:C2:01:6F:54:70,ip=192.168.1.9/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: ssd:subvol-100-disk-0,size=500G
startup: order=1
swap: 4096
this one is DHCP
arch: amd64
cores: 2
features: fuse=1,mknod=1,mount=nfs;cifs,nesting=1
hostname: Speedtest
memory: 1024
nameserver: 8.8.8.8
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,hwaddr=52:F4:D5:D5:D9:F8,ip=dhcp,ip6=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: ssd:subvol-101-disk-0,size=20G
swap: 512

Hey,

kernel updates usually require a reboot. Does the problem persist after rebooting?

yes, this is after the reboot. @Hannes Laimer

also, if I try to start a CT with the old linux bridge I get this error. With a new linux bridge it starts but has no network connection

lxc_create_network_priv: 3413 No such device - Failed to create network device

also, the host connection works fine, only the VM and CT can not connect

Last edited:
Glad you solved it, maybe consider sharing your solution, so it might help others who have a similar problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!