No IOMMU detected even though virtualization is enabled in bios

Header9863

May 26, 2024
I recently bought a Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN and wanted to set up some VMs on it using proxmox. Virtualization is enabled in the bios, and I added intel_iommu=on to grub, ran 'grup-update' I also added iommu to the modules in /etc/modules, as another thread here mentioned doing that. After a reboot, I tried adding one of the network ports to the VVM using the 'Hardware > Add > PCI Device' option, where I then got the error message that no iommu is detected.

Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• 240526_14h53m35s_screenshot.png
    240526_14h53m35s_screenshot.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 240526_14h53m15s_screenshot.png
    240526_14h53m15s_screenshot.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 5
What are the outputs of uname -a and cat /proc/cmdline (please use text within CODE-tags)? With PVE 8.2 and kernel 6.8 you don't need intel_iommu=on anymore but VT-d needs to be enabled in BIOS and supported by both motherboard and CPU.

Reactions: Kingneutron
uname -a:
Code:
Linux proxmox 6.8.4-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.8.4-2 (2024-04-10T17:36Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

cmdline:
Code:
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.8.4-2-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on

the GA-IMB1900TN is a motherboard/cpu combo. According to what I have read, it supports virtualization and the manual states that it is enabled out-of-the-box

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.8.4-2-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on
You are on kernel 6.8, so you don't even need intel_iommu=on. Also, vfio_virqfd no londer exist.
the GA-IMB1900TN is a motherboard/cpu combo. According to what I have read, it supports virtualization and the manual states that it is enabled out-of-the-box
Virtualization is VT-x, but for IOMMU you also need VT-d. Note that this is not a problem if you don't want to do PCI(e) passthrough.

Looking at Gigabyte's website ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-IMB1900TN-rev-10#ov ) and Intel's website ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-j1900-2m-cache-up-to-2-42-ghz.html ), I'm quite sure your hardware does not support VT-d and therefore does not support IOMMU.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!