No internet to the vms

koolandrew

Jul 7, 2021
We have 5 VMs in a cluster. 1-4 are very similar as they are blades in a Dell M910 blade server. #5 is an HP server.

For some reason, the vms on #2 and #5 cannot be accessed other than through the terminal, and they cannot access the internet in fact, they cannot be pinged from the shell in the node. If the vm is migrated to another node, no issues.

I was thinking that it must be something to do with the linux bridge but 1-4 is very similar, and #5 is different due to the fact it is a separate server.

I am not sure what i should post to provide further info, as i am not sure why they dont work

Hi,

let's start with the simple question. Did you check if the firewall is switched on any of the nodes?

But you can reach node #2 and #5 without issue, just the VMs are problematic?. When you create some test VM on #2 or #5 do they have the same issue?

Can you post your /etc/network/interfaces config?
Are the VMs behind a NAT?

The VMS arent behind NAT. I created a new vm on .32, and no luck, no network when i ping, and i cannot ping to it as well.

.33 is a working config....unfortunately, nothing jumps out at me to determine why this doesnt work.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 192.168.3.35.txt
    946 bytes · Views: 8
  • 192.168.3.32.txt
    758 bytes · Views: 3
  • 192.168.3.33.txt
    753 bytes · Views: 3
Since the firewall is disable there shouldn't be anything in the firewal rules. Can you check this is the case iptables-save > iptables_out.txt and post the result of the different nodes here

HI, i have compared the working one (.34) to the others and i dont see any differences other than the ones that should be there for the different servers. This is the output of iptables -L as i am not sure about the command above, if that is what it is. I am not much of a linux pro.

Thanks

Attachments

• 192.168.3.32 (2).txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 192.168.3.34.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 192.168.3.35 (2).txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
HI, can anyone just in to this. I cannot ping anything from the vm, including the node ip, and the node cannot ping the vm. Is there some intricate routing or networking behind the scenes that i can compare a working node from a non-working node.

Check your gateway IP.
It doesn't look right.
address 192.168.3.35/24
gateway 192.168.3.27

Yep, is it correct.
I have subsequently found out, that there is something probably wrong on the switch setup as the two offending nodes, cannot see the gw for the public ips.

But thanks for your help, as it is unusual

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!