No Internet for Windows VM after AMD iGPU passthrough

Adding or removing PCI(e) devices can change the PCI ID of other devices. The name of network devices is based on PCI ID and probably changed. Find the new name with ip a and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. This happens to a lot of people and you can find other threads with more details on this forum (now that you know that the problem is).

EDIT: I misunderstood the problem, sorry.

Last edited:
Adding or removing PCI(e) devices can change the PCI ID of other devices. The name of network devices is based on PCI ID and probably changed. Find the new name with ip a and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. This happens to a lot of people and you can find other threads with more details on this forum (now that you know that the problem is).
No, I don't think it's the cause of the problem. It's just add a PCI Device (GPU Passthrough) to a Windows Virtual machine. It's not physically removing or adding a new GPU into Promox.
I checked ip a and /etc/network/interfaces, it's the same
1723131131605.png

1723131172868.png

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken
What is the output of cat /proc/cmdline and pvesh get /nodes/{nodename}/hardware/pci --pci-class-blacklist ""? Did you break the IOMMU groups with pcie_acs_override (which is insecure and I advise against using it)? Otherwise, the enp5s0 and iGPU are most likely in the same IOMMU group and the host loses the network device (and vmbr0 can't reach outside) when you start the VM with the iGPU: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough#Verify_IOMMU_isolation

It looks like your node is called promox so:
Code:
pvesh get /nodes/promox/hardware/pci --pci-class-blacklist ""

Check in Windows Device Manager (when you've passed through the GPU), whether there is a new Network Adapter, often Windows changes the numbers (for it's own reasons!).

Check in Windows Device Manager (when you've passed through the GPU), whether there is a new Network Adapter, often Windows changes the numbers (for it's own reasons!).
How can I check it when I cannot access the Remote Desktop Connection?

How can I check it when I cannot access the Remote Desktop Connection?
So now we are getting somewhere. How do you know the problem is no internet access? Most likely its not. Try pinging it. Even if that fails - it may indicate its not booting correctly after your passthrough.

I must tell you, you're posting is most misleading. You should have written "Unable to connect with RDP after passthrough of GPU".

Connect a display to the iGPU (or use a virtual display instead of None) and passthrough a USB keyboard and mouse?
I change the Display to Virtio, I access Windows via NoVNC, the Windows host has the Internet
1723141013838.png
1723141047196.png
But there is no IP here
1723141104114.png

So now we are getting somewhere. How do you know the problem is no internet access? Most likely its not. Try pinging it. Even if that fails - it may indicate its not booting correctly after your passthrough.

I must tell you, you're posting is most misleading. You should have written "Unable to connect with RDP after passthrough of GPU".
I checked the IP in my router bro! With the Display option in Virtio, the Windows has Internet access. With Display option = none, no internet access to the VM
1723141681839.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!