No internet after fresh install of 6.0

Joel61

Dec 1, 2019
Hi All

So brand new to Proxmox. Now Ihave just installed version 6.0 (twice to make sure I wasnt going crazy).
I have no internet and I cant ping my gateway. This also means I cant access the web interface

Now this question has been asked a few times but I have not been able to get any fix to work for me.

My /etc/network/interfaces is
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp14s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.81
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports enp14s0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

When I originally set it up, I set my DNS to 8.8.8.8

When I try ping 192.168.1.1 I get "Destination Host Unreachable"

When I log into my router I can see the computer show up there, but I cant ping it from my main computer either, I just get the same "Destination Host Unreachable" message.

Does anyone know what might be going on here and how I could fix it?

(Here is a photo from the first install, I had it on another IP, hence the .79 instead of the .81 which I am currently on)
Vr3Lx3P.png

Last edited:
@t.lamprecht The laptop is connected by ethernet to the main switch (Same one that my main PC is on right now)
Here is the output

Code:
ip route
default via 192.168.1.1 dev vmbr0 onlink
192.168.1.0/24 dev bmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.81

and here is the output of the other:
Yv5CiCV.png

Also here is my working Windows PC's network setting for refrence:
1575363332487.png

Last edited:
Hmm, looks all as it should.

Does the info comes from a DHCP server on the network or did you entered it manually?
Just to ensure the network details are correct, not that it should be "192.168.0.0/24" or the like (sorry, stupid questions, but as all seems well else we need to ensure the basics :) )

Do you see (ping) the server from the outside? If you have another Linux box, you could try and ARP ping with: arping 1c:75:08:7f:77:d4

@t.lamprecht The info is all entered manually. It's definitely 192.168.1.1 as that's what I use in the Web browser to configure the router. Don't have another Linux box handy right now, but I tried to ping its ip from my windows box and it won't work. Ill see if I can get a VM booted up and try ARP ping it

So just an update, I reinstalled on another laptop and it works fine! So I guess its a driver issue or something strange with this other laptop

I mean glad that not all is broken but strange nonetheless. Could you post the
Code:
lspci -knn

Or, if you cannot copy paste yet, the reduced info from the network only
Code:
lspci -knn | grep -A 3 net
to see what network card and which Kernel driver is in use.

I would do this, but I had to the use same drive to re install on the other laptop. If I get time I'll reinstall it again on the old laptop and get you this information

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!