no hdmi video output when pve booted without monitor attached

RolandK

Renowned Member
Mar 5, 2019
hello,

i have proxmox on some s740 mini computers.

i have attached an older dvi monitor via dvi->hdmi cable and hdmi->dp adatper.

so far it's working fine.

the problem is that when i boot without the monitor attached/powered on.
attaching the monitor at a later time, it tells there is no video signal.

it's not a console blanking issue, it must have something to do with console/display initialization.

does anybody have a clue how to resolve this?

Would it be possible to test with a different monitor to rule out the converters as the problem? Even if you keep the HDMI->DP adapter I think that would help.

I'll go test real quick to make sure that connecting a display after booting works at all, one minute!
*Edit, all my hosts lack integrated graphics and the GPUs are passthrough to hosts, so I can't test this. But I'm pretty sure it's worked in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: RolandK
yes, apparently the hint with different monitor was good, at least i have changed the monitor at my home s740 system and it works without a problem

will try different monitor at the other location, too

I find myself in a similar situation.
I have 5 nodes (Intel NUC8i7HNK and HVK) and each of them is connected into a HDMI KVM (AIMOS HDMI KVM 8 port)
In 7.4-3, when switching between them, everything went smooth, I have video signal and getting the console.

Since migration to 8.0-3 this is no longer possible. If I boot with the monitor, all OK. Then I switch to another one and it stops working with no video signal.

Any ideas? I really don't want to enforce something manually as my config changes often (it is a homelab).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!