NO HARD DISK FOUND

beginnersblock

Nov 6, 2023
Hello, I am getting an error when booting on my Dell Poweredge R620 server, I have two Samsung evo ssd's one 250gb and one 500gb, have proxmox on a 8gb usb everything boots up fine but when I get to the boot of proxmox it ends up showing no hard disk found, when I go to bios the ssd's show in there and are ready, and it is in the AHCI mode as well, please help thank you!

It shows
when you get an error, press: ctrl-alt-F3
In the new shell window type "lsblk", what do you see?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Ok I did that and it shows

loop0 7:0 0 104.4M 1 loop
loop1 7:1 0 399.3M 1 loop
sda 8:0 1 7.5G 0 disk /cdrom
-sda1 8:1 1 224K 0 part
-sda2 8:2 1 2.8M 0 part
-sda3 8:3 1 1.1G 0 part
-sda4 8:4 1 300K 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

It shows

Ok I did that and it shows

loop0 7:0 0 104.4M 1 loop
-sda4 8:4 1 300K 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
on our server we need to deactivate "Fast Boot" and do a Bios Update... one of this was the solution.

Looks like the system doesn't indeed see the drives. This could be, as others pointed out, a BIOS issue or just kernel compatibility with your controller.
You can try to boot with vanilla Debian12 ISO to see if that gives you disk access. If it does, you can install Debian and then Proxmox packages on top of it.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Try booting the host from a more comprehensive Linux live CD, such as SystemRescueCD, where there will be more drivers available. Then, execute the 'lsblk' command there.
If you can see those drives in the BIOS, it might be that your Linux distribution used for booting doesn't recognize them

Last edited:
I bet this server came with a PERC raid controller and it isn't any virtual drives defined in the raid bios.
We would know that with dmesg | grep scsi

Let's see the output of dmesg | grep scsi
OK it shows the following

scsi host0: ata_piix
scsi host1: ata_piix
scsi host2: ata_piix
scsi host3: ata_piix
scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLDS DVD-ROM DU-8D5LH 5D51 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sc 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
scsi hos4: Avago SAS based MegaRAID driver
scsi host5: usb-storage 1-1.4:1.0
scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access General UDisk 5.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

I bet this server came with a PERC raid controller and it isn't any virtual drives defined in the raid bios.
We would know that with dmesg | grep scsi
OK it shows the following

scsi host0: ata_piix
scsi host1: ata_piix
scsi host2: ata_piix
scsi host3: ata_piix
scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLDS DVD-ROM DU-8D5LH 5D51 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sc 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
scsi hos4: Avago SAS based MegaRAID driver
scsi host5: usb-storage 1-1.4:1.0
scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access General UDisk 5.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

oop0 7:0 0 104.4M 1 loop
-sda4
this confirms that system does not see any disks except the ISO which is mounted as /cdrom

You can try a few things:
- Try standard Debian and/or Ubuntu ISO available from their website. Check if the disks appear
- Reset your BIOS
- Make sure you upgraded everything related to BIOS and Firmware

Ok in the boot settings of bios when I go in it shows:

boot mode bios or uefi it is currently on uefi
boot sequence retry enabled or disabled currently on disabled

bios boot settings
uefi boot settings
Maybe it is not in the Boot Settings... depending on your bios.
Settings for ASUS Mainboards

Another tip I found was to deactivate the "onboard" VGA port. But it was already deactivated for us.

The hard drives are installed on a hardware raid controller? Do you perhaps have to configure a RAID there first?

Looks like the system doesn't indeed see the drives. This could be, as others pointed out, a BIOS issue or just kernel compatibility with your controller.
You can try to boot with vanilla Debian12 ISO to see if that gives you disk access. If it does, you can install Debian and then Proxmox packages on top of it.

Yeah I tried the Debian download and got the same thing, debain wasn't seeing my drives just my USB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!