[SOLVED] No ethernet when google coral M.2 used

skoczo

Apr 18, 2024
Hi. I have Google Coral M.2 PCIe. I bought some n100 mini pc and want to run monitoring(frigate) which is using Google Coral for object detection. My problem is that when i install it on the board i don't have ethernet. I see that before boot it works leds are flashing but during boot process something is wrong and ethernet is lost. I did installation based on official doc https://coral.ai/docs/m2/get-started/#2a-on-linux.

I did a test and i installed Ubuntu 24.04 and on that everything is working ok. Google Coral is visible in devices and ethernet is working properly. Based on that i think that there is something wrong with Proxmox installation. I had exactly the same problem on HP T630 but there was a problem with iommu groups. Ethernet and TPU got the same group. I see that now problem is somewhere else. Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

Adding (or removing) PCI(e) devices can change the PCI ID of other devices. The network device name is based on the PCI ID, which probably changed and invalidated your Proxmox network configuration. This is very common and lots of threads about it. Login to the Proxmox host console and find the new name by looking at the output of ip a and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. Or search the forum for other options like changing the name of the network device(s) beforehand.

The easiest way is to override the NW device names by assigning a name to the specific mac address of the NIC, as described in Proxmox docs.

Reactions: leesteken
Thanks for that response. You saved me lot of time. Information that if something is added there might be problems with devices is priceless. The root cause of my problems was that my Google Coral is already used in other device for monitoring. I want to migrate all of that to other device but to have possible less time without monitoring i choose way to install proxmox, migrate VM and then stop everything and switch Coral PCIe. That was cause of all problems. Now i install Coral on board before installation and everything is working well. Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!