[SOLVED] No Email Transportation

gmue

Apr 4, 2022
Hi,
I have installed a Proxmox Mail Gateway server, and in my opinion I have configured all the essentials. Unfortunately mail transport to the existing mail server does not work.
Setup is simple and as follows:
Firewall>UDP25>PMG>MailServer
Mailserver works fine, if I forward NAT from FW directly to mailserver. When redirecting to the MailGW, there is no delivery attempt in the logfiles mail.info, neither in the logfile of the mail server nor at the PMG. I have no more idea where the error can still lie

Please provide the logs from PMG (journalctl -b) - maybe with those we can guess where the issue is

OK attached You find the journalctl -b as saved logfile

Attachments

• journalctl_b.log
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks

This log shows no connection attempts to the smtp-ports of PMG (no logs from postfix)

You need to try to send a mail to PMG - and then post the logs
(or if you tried sending a mail then your firewall seems to block the connections

not sure what this means - but SMTP uses TCP/25 - not UDP

Thanks

This log shows no connection attempts to the smtp-ports of PMG (no logs from postfix)

You need to try to send a mail to PMG - and then post the logs
(or if you tried sending a mail then your firewall seems to block the connections

not sure what this means - but SMTP uses TCP/25 - not UDP
sorry of course its TCP Port forwarding, its a typo in my post above

attached new logfile, actually I see no logs from postfix (also not in mail.info log) - its not clear, if I forward TCP25 directly to mail server in pfsense its working fine, if i forward to PMG´s IP nothing happens

Attachments

• journalctl-b-2.log
    82.2 KB · Views: 3
attached new logfile, actually I see no logs from postfix (also not in mail.info log) - its not clear, if I forward TCP25 directly to mail server in pfsense its working fine, if i forward to PMG´s IP nothing happens
* on a hunch i'd guess this is an issue somewhere in your pfsense rules? (maybe there is a block of any traffic to PMG's IP?
* if nothing shows up in the journal from postfix it's simply not contacted
* one thing you could still check on PMG is if postfix is indeed listening on port 25:
`ss -tlnp`

I hope this helps!

I will check pfsense also, and try to change gateways IP
below the output of ss -tlnp

Code:
State                           Recv-Q                          Send-Q                                                    Local Address:Port                                                      Peer Address:Port                          Process
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                          127.0.0.1:10024                                                          0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=1882,fd=7),("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=1511,fd=7),("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=835,fd=7))
LISTEN                          0                               100                                                           127.0.0.1:10025                                                          0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("master",pid=831,fd=28))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                            0.0.0.0:111                                                            0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("rpcbind",pid=474,fd=4),("systemd",pid=1,fd=36))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                          127.0.0.1:85                                                             0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("pmgdaemon worke",pid=843,fd=6),("pmgdaemon worke",pid=842,fd=6),("pmgdaemon worke",pid=841,fd=6),("pmgdaemon",pid=840,fd=6))
LISTEN                          0                               128                                                             0.0.0.0:22                                                             0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("sshd",pid=542,fd=3))
LISTEN                          0                               244                                                           127.0.0.1:5432                                                           0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("postgres",pid=556,fd=5))
LISTEN                          0                               100                                                             0.0.0.0:25                                                             0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("master",pid=831,fd=21))
LISTEN                          0                               100                                                             0.0.0.0:26                                                             0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("master",pid=831,fd=17))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                          127.0.0.1:10022                                                          0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("pmgpolicy child",pid=1796,fd=8),("pmgpolicy child",pid=1795,fd=8),("pmgpolicy child",pid=1794,fd=8),("pmgpolicy child",pid=1793,fd=8),("pmgpolicy child",pid=1792,fd=8),("pmgpolicy",pid=780,fd=8))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                          127.0.0.1:10023                                                          0.0.0.0:*                              users:(("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=1882,fd=5),("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=1511,fd=5),("pmg-smtp-filter",pid=835,fd=5))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                               [::]:111                                                               [::]:*                              users:(("rpcbind",pid=474,fd=6),("systemd",pid=1,fd=38))
LISTEN                          0                               128                                                                [::]:22                                                                [::]:*                              users:(("sshd",pid=542,fd=4))
LISTEN                          0                               100                                                                [::]:25                                                                [::]:*                              users:(("master",pid=831,fd=22))
LISTEN                          0                               100                                                                [::]:26                                                                [::]:*                              users:(("master",pid=831,fd=18))
LISTEN                          0                               4096                                                                  *:8006                                                                 *:*                              users:(("pmgproxy worker",pid=850,fd=6),("pmgproxy worker",pid=849,fd=6),("pmgproxy worker",pid=848,fd=6),("pmgproxy",pid=847,fd=6))

Last edited:
LISTEN 0 100 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* users:(("master",pid=831,fd=21))
seems ok :)

(if possible please paste these things inside 'code' tags (helps to not mangle the output and insert emojis)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!