No Drives Detected at Initial Install (Dell R815/9211-8i)

josephthejoe

Apr 10, 2021
I am trying to install proxmox on one of my servers when I get to the install splash screen I get the message "no drives detected"

My R815 originally had a different raid controller in it but I removed it and replaced it with a 9240-8i flashed with the 9211-8i firmware and IT mode.

The server boots recognizes the card and detects the drive. When I enter the cards configuration utility my drives show up and if I don't boot from my proxmox flash drive the one disk with esxi on it boots fine.I formated the drives with the new card. Its just proxmox cant see the drives for some reason.

I'm at a complete loss. To be forward and honest server hardware isn't my area of expertise im not even sure how to check if my card is actually in IT mode. So I figured id post on this forum for help.

Hmm, have you tried to boot from a Linux Live ISO (latest Ubuntu for example) and checked if the disks show up? The lsblk command will list all drives available. Or by ls -l /dev/disk/by-id you should see the disks exposed via several properties. One will usually show make-model-serial which should make it easier to validate if all disks are present.

the Ubuntu install fails to find a disk too. Clearly this isn't a proxmox problem. I am unsure what the next steps are but ill try reddit.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!