No driver for Intel i350-T4V2?

Oct 4, 2019
In a newly installed system "ip a" only lists one NIC aside from the virtual devices:

2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 1c:87:2c:46:73:89 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

That is the bridge port to my vmbr0.

"lspci" lists both that interface (Realtek) and my quad port intel i350:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

However, I can find no way to configure those interfaces, as they do not have logical names.

"lshw" lists them as "UNCLAIMED":
*-network:0 UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: I350 Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress vpd cap_list
configuration: latency=0

As far as I've read "UNCLAIMED" means that no driver has been loaded, but, Intel i350-T4 is supposed to have a long standing support both in the linux kernel and in proxmox. Am i wrong?
Do I need to load some driver manually?

Last edited:
In a newly installed system "ip a" only lists one NIC aside from the virtual devices:

2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 1c:87:2c:46:73:89 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

That is the bridge port to my vmbr0.

"lspci" lists both that interface (Realtek) and my quad port intel i350:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
03:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

However, I can find no way to configure those interfaces, as they do not have logical names.

"lshw" lists them as "UNCLAIMED":
*-network:0 UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: I350 Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress vpd cap_list
configuration: latency=0

As far as I've read "UNCLAIMED" means that no driver has been loaded, but, Intel i350-T4 is supposed to have a long standing support both in the linux kernel and in proxmox. Am i wrong?
Do I need to load some driver manually?
Didn't updated that one node to PVE 7.3 yet, but at least with PVE 7.2 my i350-T4 was running out of the box without any additional drivers needed. Are you sure you got a genuine i350-T4? A big part of the ones sold online are fakes: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/

Didn't updated that one node to PVE 7.3 yet, but at least with PVE 7.2 my i350-T4 was running out of the box without any additional drivers needed. Are you sure you got a genuine i350-T4? A big part of the ones sold online are fakes: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/
Good tip, SInce it's a new system I'll download the 7.2 ISO and install that to see if it works.

The cards check out according to that guide you linked to. Also, they are ordered directly from Dell europe (placed the order inside our production order system myself) so recieving counterfeits would greatly surprise me.

I tried the 7.2 and 7.1 ISOs, to no avail. Still only the onboard interface gets detected as a NIC.
I also installed pfsense on the machine; where all interfaces worked and recieved IP addresses from the DHCP, so it's definitely a driver issue with Debian/Proxmox (or linux itself. Gonna try with Ubuntu and Manjaro images to if that works).

Last edited:
I tried some other linux distributions on the same machine, Ubuntu 22.04LTS and Manjaro 20.1. None of them recognize the i350 as network interfaces.
Windows 10 recognizes them and they are assigned IP-adresses and can communicate fine.
Pfsense also works fine.
NomadBSD also works fine.

Anyone else reading this and having the same problem try the following and retry installation after each step:
1. Make absolutely sure SR-IOV is OFF on all four interfaces.
2. Update your BIOS
3. Make absolutely sure SR-IOV is OFF on all four interfaces.
4. Update your NIC's firmware
5. Make absolutely sure SR-IOV is OFF on all four interfaces.

I can't say for certain that updating BIOS and FW didn't do anything, but it worked immediately after I completely turned SR-IOV off.

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!