no boot possible with LSI / IBM M1015 passthrough

kopsfd

May 28, 2013
Dear all,

I have a strange problem.

When booting the virtual machine without passthrough of the PCIe card:

- I can install OmniOS (only some errors concerning UHCI USB or warnings occur)
- I can boot OmniOS

After activating passthrough:

- I can't boot - the same machine reports "No active partition" but it boots from the virtual image, not from the M1015 controller
- If I try to reinstall OmniOS, I get a bootloop (only two errors devi (...) vgatext0, but this seems to be only a warning message)

What I'm doing wrong?

Does anyone have Proxmox with M1015 / LSI controller passthrough and OmniOS running?

Thanks a lot

not in that combination, but in general it should work.
...you are sure that you have a vt-d capable system (CPU, mobo and BIOS settings)?
If so, it should work....maybe try relocating the M1015 to another slot that is not located behind a PCIe-bridge.

As for the USB errros...disable the USB tablet from the config.

You could test the passthrough with another distro, like a fedora-live CD.

Dear all,

I have a strange problem.

When booting the virtual machine without passthrough of the PCIe card:

- I can install OmniOS (only some errors concerning UHCI USB or warnings occur)
- I can boot OmniOS

After activating passthrough:

- I can't boot - the same machine reports "No active partition" but it boots from the virtual image, not from the M1015 controller
- If I try to reinstall OmniOS, I get a bootloop (only two errors devi (...) vgatext0, but this seems to be only a warning message)

What I'm doing wrong?

Does anyone have Proxmox with M1015 / LSI controller passthrough and OmniOS running?

Thanks a lot

Hi I don't known too much for pci passthrough,

but if you use iscsi on host + virtio-scsi disk in guest + /dev/sd... , you should have iscsi passthrough inside your guest.

Hi,

Fedora Core 19 seems to boot without failure - but I noticed one strange thing, perhaps this is the problem during booting:

In the Option ROM (MPT Bios of the LSI card) the HDD is marked as INT13 Boot-device.

I think it overrides the boot order.

How can I deactivate this - I can't enter the LSI's Bios in the virtual machine.

When booting the physical machine (after reactivating Option ROM in Supermicro's Bios) the Int13 Bootdevice isn't shown. Therefor I do not have the problem at my physical machine.

BTW: I forgot my configuration:

Supermicro X10SLM-F, VT-d activated, Option-Rom Bios deactivated (but seems to be equal), Intel_IOMMU activated in boot options, hostpci0: xx:xx.x entered into configfile, mpt2sas blacklisted for modprobe and via lsmod verified

disable the ROM completely (enter at host boot) or flash the card without rom-file.
I don't know if there are options in VM-Bios at all, like with VMware product.

Hi,

I'm deeply disappointed from Proxmox Support in this forum - only some community members tried to help with this problem. No help from Proxmox itself.

To cut a long story short - I downloaded and installed VMWare VSphere 5.1 (never seen VMWare ESXi before) and after 3 hours I had a running system with pass-through and installed OmniOS without any erros.

Thanks for such a good VMWare Product.

Hi,

I'm deeply disappointed from Proxmox Support in this forum - only some community members tried to help with this problem. No help from Proxmox itself.

To cut a long story short - I downloaded and installed VMWare VSphere 5.1 (never seen VMWare ESXi before) and after 3 hours I had a running system with pass-through and installed OmniOS without any erros.

Thanks for such a good VMWare Product.

Hi, we have found a bug with opensolaris/openindina, with +x2apic cpu flag.
This solve problem with usb and network card. I think it could help too with your bug. (the problem is handling interrupts with x2apic on solaris, so it's breaking a lot of devices)

I have send a patch to dev mailing

As workaround for now, you can try to disable kvm support (in vm gui options->kvm hardware virtualization)

Hi, we have found a bug with opensolaris/openindina, with +x2apic cpu flag.
This solve problem with usb and network card. I think it could help too with your bug. (the problem is handling interrupts with x2apic on solaris, so it's breaking a lot of devices)

I have send a patch to dev mailing

As workaround for now, you can try to disable kvm support (in vm gui options->kvm hardware virtualization)

I'm having a similar problem where passthrough of my LSI HBA causes OmniOS to panic on boot. I set up a regular Debian host to make sure it wasn't on the Proxmox side & passthrough works OK there.

I found this in searching for "OmniOS passthrough". I tried your suggestion to disable KVM support, but that causes passthrough to stop working & the VM won't boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!