No boot messages when using EFI - stuck at "EFI stub:..."

kiler129

Oct 20, 2020
I have a peculiar issue with one of my test machines. After dropping an additional NVMe into it Proxmox (7.3-1) "didn't boot". ...or I should say stopped responding over the network. The KVM turned out to be useless. I decided to plug in a physical monitor and a physical keyboard.

Well, this didn't work either: the only thing I'm able to see is "EFI stub: Loaded initrd from command line option". No amount of vga=791, nomodset, or video=efi,keep gets me any console output. I tried playing with earlyprintk= to no avail. The rescue boot from PVE ISO (v7.3-1) is also non-functional and only prints "Compression algorithm 84 is not supported" when trying to run.

The system seems to be booting as I see the NIC waking up after 10-ish seconds. And C+A+D restarts the system with a delay - this makes me think it's not frozen in any way. However, I'm afraid the NIC changed its name as a new PCIe device appeared in the tree.

However, my main issue is how can I get console on it? After a few hours of fighting I slightly gave up. I can just reinstall and get VM configs from backup, but that's not the point. I should be able to access local console. I never had such an issue in BIOS-boot... not even earlyprintk appears. Normally I would just use a good'ol UART but the motherboard doesn't even have a header for it.

Edit:
I was right about it booting. Network cards changed the order after adding a PCIe device (all enp# shifted by one). This doesn't solve the problem of complete lack of console output after EFI stub and I think it must be addressed, as I was essentially flying blind. In addition this is probably a good feature request: Proxmox, as an appliance relying on remote management, should probably by default rename network cards based on MAC. While I can do it manually with systemd.link on my test system, I would rather avoid playing with the network configuration around Proxmox's scripts.

Another tidbit I discovered is that installing Linux v6.1 (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-1-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.119483/) actually makes the local console available. On 5.15 it's completely broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongDono
I just ran into the same issue, i added a PCI-E device.
Did chroot into the system, remove GPU passthrough and could then update the /etc/network/interfaces on the console (don't forget the "bridge-ports").
Afterwards i realized just updating the interfaces would have done the job. Anyway thank you for sharing your experience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!