Nic passthrough to truenas vm and mac address

juju01

May 16, 2020
I want to passthrough a dedicated 10G nic port to my truenas scale setup. I typically setup the static ip address by mapping a mac address to the static ip in my dhcp server. Not sure how this will work with the passthrough nic. I know the mac address of the NIC port. However, not sure where to assign it in truenas scale. I see I can assign a static ip directly in truenas, without specifying a mac address - but not sure my dhcp server will pick this up? Any pointers on how to do this will be appreciated.

ps: I know alternatively, I can just setup a new bridge and assign that to the vm. thats what I have done now. Is there a performance hit by going this route vs passing the nic through ?

Last edited:
Not sure how this will work with the passthrough nic.

I have not verified it, but I would highly expect, that if you PCIe-passthrough the NIC to a VM, its corresponding real MAC-address is also in that VM on that specific NIC, because it is bound to the hardware/physical NIC?!

Or do you talk about SR-IOV?

Maybe I simply misunderstand something?

ps: I know alternatively, I can just setup a new bridge and assign that to the vm. thats what I have done now. Is there a performance hit by going this route vs passing the nic through ?

Do you actually see a performance hit? (With your 10 Gb NIC in mind.)

The performance of a Linux bridge normally depends on the CPU-performance of the host.
So, if you do not have a potato-CPU, you should get at least 20 Gb/s.

An advantage with staying with the Linux bridge for the TrueNAS-VM would be, that traffic from/to other guests that are on that same bridge, does not need to leave the physical network interface and is therefore not restricted to the, in your case, 10 Gb/s from the physical NIC; of course, depending on your host-CPU.

Would recommend to simply measure it for your specific environment (to and from the different clients and servers) with e.g.: iperf3.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!