NFS4 with kerberos authentication

AxelTwin

Oct 10, 2017
Hi everybody,

I am trying painfully to setup a nfs server with kerberos authentication following thi howto: NFSv4Howto

When I try to issue the command: modprobe rpcsec_gss_krb5
I get the following error:
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/5.3.18-2-pve/modules.dep.bin' modprobe: FATAL: Module rpcsec_gss_krb5 not found in directory /lib/modules/5.3.18-2-pve
Any ideas ?

FYI: nesting / NFS features are enabled

hi,

command works here. could you post your pveversion -v?

edit: wait you're running the modprobe command in a container? because you need to run on the PVE host.

Last edited:
Re-run your package installation on the NFS server and client for the Heimdal KDC configuration. Modprobe/kernel install must be completed on NFS client and server, too, but if either is virtualized, install it at the kernel layer on the PVE host

You can verify installation on the kernel module with
Code:
lsmod | grep rpcsec_gss_krb5

To roll a failed kernel mod install back, run

Code:
rmmod rpcsec_gss_krb5

I’m recommending you DONT modify your krb5.conf with
Code:
allow_weak_crypto = true

in fact, lol, please disable all 3des encryption modes and allow only AES

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!