NFS vs shared volume and migration to proxmox

doman18

Oct 20, 2018
I have NAS -> Openmediavault with transmission, gogs, nextcloud and dokuwiki. Those services and mysql (for gogs and nextcloud) are on system drive but their data directories are pointing to folders on ZFS mirrored drives.
ZFSpool/nextcloud/data
ZFSpool/googs/data
ZFSpool/transmission/downloaded
ZFSpool/dokuwiki/data
I want to move from OMV to proxmox and separate those service with containers. But also i want to keep things as they were - i dont want to store any data on volumes created for containers. Data directories should be linked to mounted ZFS pool and their adjacent directories.
Also, Nextcloud and googs will have their own mysql instances in their containers. I want to move /var/lib/mysql directories from both to ZFS pool and make a links to them in containers. So i will add
ZFSpool/nextcloud/var.lib.mysql/
ZFSpool/googs/varl.lib.mysq/

To achieve this, first i was thinking about shared volumes. I already used such solution (2 containers have additional common volume to share data between them). But backups of such containers which have 1 their base volume and 2 huuuge data volume will be problematic.
So second thing which came to my mind was NFS. But i dont know how reliable such solution will be. And will there be any hit in performance.

What do you think about that and what your ideas to make it properly?

Hi,

I would use mount points for the data.
This way you can keep your layout and isolate the services.

Reactions: doman18

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!