NFS storage locks up Windows guest

gob

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2011
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure this is one for the Proxmox forum or FreeNAS forum, but here goes...

I have a standalone PVE 3.4.11 host with two KVM guests - one Windows 2012 and one Fedora Linux.
This server is primarily a Windows backup server with quite a lot of local storage. Recently we were running out of storage so I threw together a freeNAS (9.3 STABLE) server with an extra 16Tb of storage.
I originally planned to hook this up to the ProxMox host via iSCSI and map an LVM volume through to the Windows Backup server. However I struggled getting the iSCSI to work in the short time I had so I ended up creating an NFS share and used that.
There is a dedicated NIC, switch and subnet on the PVE host to talk to the FreeNAS server.

This seemed to work fine but I have since found that the Windows 2012 guest (which until now has been rock solid for over a year) occasionally locks up and has to be forcibly stopped.
When it locks up, the NoVNC console shows a static image of the guest desktop which you cannot control. You can ping the Windows guest server but cannot RDP onto it.
It seems to lock up during the evening when the NFS share is being written to.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
Gordon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!