NFS speed? issue

gbr

May 13, 2012
Hi,

If I try to create a vm with qcow2, or restore a VM, to my NFS storage, Proxmox 3.0 keeps on giving me timeouts.

I was running NFSv3, then switched to NFSv4 to see if that helped the issue. It didn't.

This is my NFS storage:
root@proxmox:/mnt/pve/Images/images/108# time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile bs=8k count=2000000 && sync"
2000000+0 records in
2000000+0 records out
16384000000 bytes (16 GB) copied, 144.909 s, 113 MB/s

real 2m25.149s
user 0m0.316s
sys 0m17.163s

root@proxmox:/mnt/pve/Images/images/108# pveperf .
CPU BOGOMIPS: 21332.88
REGEX/SECOND: 1061966
HD SIZE: 3725.13 GB (192.168.101.100:/proxmox/images)
FSYNCS/SECOND: 343.14
DNS EXT: 233.20 ms
DNS INT: 0.42 ms (xxx.yyy)

All the speed tests show my NFS server as being up to par for GigE. Anyone know what is going on here? Are there other tests I can perform?

Thanks,
Gerald

The error I get when creating an 8GB qcow2 disk file is:

TASK ERROR: create failed - unable to create image: got lock timeout - aborting command

and I get a 7GB file created.

What file system are you using on NFS? I remember having some odd problems with XFS with our NFS systems when deploying a solution based on Proxmox VE 2.3. We eventually settled on ext3 based on some comments here that suggested that OpenVZ favored ext3.

The error I get when creating an 8GB qcow2 disk file is:

TASK ERROR: create failed - unable to create image: got lock timeout - aborting command

and I get a 7GB file created.

Interestingly enough, we used the inverted method for our project. Originally, we started off with XFS on the NFS server and XFS on the VMs. Ran into problems and quickly switched to ext3 on the NFS with XFS on the VMs. The result...no more problems on our end. We never really figured out why Proxmox seems to run into issues with XFS on NFS....at least in our experience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!