NFS Share problem

imasduser

Dec 20, 2016
Hello. I have an NFS Share between Proxmox and Windows Server for backups purpose. The share was working fine all the time but a few days ago I started to have issues.

I can create/delete files from Windows and Proxmox via NFS Share and all changes works fine. Files are visible from both computers. For example If I create a .txt file in Windows I can read it from Proxmox via NFS share.

If I make a local backup all works fine but if I try to backup to NFS I have this problems:

INFO: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
INFO: rsync: close failed on "/mnt/pve/nfsWinServer/dump/vzdump-openvz-106-2016_12_20-12_23_08.tmp/": Input/output error (5)
INFO: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (18620 bytes received so far) [sender]
INFO: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
ERROR: Backup of VM 106 failed - command 'rsync --stats -x --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --inplace '/mnt/backups/private/106/' '/mnt/pve/nfsWinServer/dump/vzdump-openvz-106-2016_12_20-12_23_08.tmp'' failed: exit code 12
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

I can view how the folder is created an appearing in Windows Server

I checked that the problem occurs only on certain VM's and CT's. In some machines (VM's & CT's) NFS Backup is working fine. In others never works again. I don´t understand...

Might want to check you're not dropping packets somewhere or link is flapping. Also run the command manually on the node thats keeps failing and see if you can get a more verbose output.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The link and connectivity betweeen node and the remote NFS storage server really is good. I can transfer files at 50MB/s. I can make ping from node to the server and all is ok. Very good response time. I let the ping a half an hour and no packet loss.

I will check with the command manually.

Well I noticed that the local storage for backups is very very slow than normally. For example normal speed for local backups in a CT is 102MB/s now i have 17 MB/s. Normally, the backups has done along the night. Today at the morning the backups doesn't finalized yet. What can I do please? Thank you a lot.

Last edited:
Problem solved. Restarting entire node and host machine was solved the slow local backups issue. Changing NFS share by a typical CIFS share solved the slow network backups.

Thanks for all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!