NFS share fstab not mounting automatically, need to always manually get it running again

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
Hi,
I have a external hard drive that first must mount on a PROXMOX host:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/bindmounts/shared

I then have the NFS-Server running on this host.

The fstab has the following in it:
/dev/sda2 /mnt/bindmounts/shared auto nosuid,nodev,nofail 0 0

I would've assumed this is correct and enough to mount, and have the NFS added in datacenter storage.

I have another proxmox host node doing this:
mount 192.168.100.144:/mnt/bindmounts/shared /mnt/nfs_clientshare

I restarted the NFS-Server PROXMOX host and it didn't mount, the other proxmox host node didn't connect to the NFS share (manually).

I had to remove the NFS-Server storage entry and I couldn't use the same name (?), I had to use a slightly different name.

What am I doing wrong?

How can I make sure the drive is mounted and shared on NFS for other nodes to connect?
I wouldn't want to put any live disks if a disconnect will mean I need to manually do this every time.

I restarted (and found it wasn't automatically working as I thought it would) after the NFS share stopped responding on the NFS-Server PROXMOX host.

(On a dangerous note, if I create a VM/LXC with a this storage, and the name changes, I am stuffed and can't change the target, I would need to recreate the VM/LXC)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!