nfs performance

ChappIO

Apr 1, 2018
I have been testing different ways to set up my NAS storage for proxmox but I am finding odd results. Maybe you can help me clarify them.

Testing on local ssd I am finding ~500MB/s writes
Testing through iSCSI target ~100MB/s writes
Testing through NFS storage ~1.8GB/s writes

I find it weird to see the high speeds on NFS storage since I just have a bonded gigabit network. Is there a lot of caching happening or someting?

Also, do you have some tips? I have many compute heavy vms which don't need long-lasting storage and a few vms which require a lot of storage (some for slow storage, some for databases).

Probably a lot of caching.
Probably bad testing methods.

How did you test? You provide too little detail about testing and the environment for anyone to meaningfully comment on your results.

Probably a lot of caching.
Probably bad testing methods.

How did you test? You provide too little detail about testing and the environment for anyone to meaningfully comment on your results.

I just dd'd /dev/zero to disk in a vm. Probably a bad way to test this. Could you point me in a better direction for testing?

I am just trying to figure out what the pros and cons are of the various ways of storing disk images for my vms.

My setup:

2 compute nodes with limited local storage
1 NAS
1 network node which does ssl termination

I run mostly stateless compute services in the vms but also a handful of database/storage vms. I want to move (or at least backup) the storage of those vms to the NAS so that I have a central place which contains all important data.

I have never used iscsi before but I see some people recommending this so I figured I'd try it out. But would there be any benefits?

Bonnie++ is nice to do real tests on NFS.

Thanks for the tip!
I ran bonnie++ on every configuration (not at the same time of course).
As far as I can see, nfs provides higher performance all round.

Did I draw the wrong conclusion? Is there a benefit of using iSCSI instead of NFS?

2018-06-08-192631_1684x1351_scrot(1).jpg

What kind of NAS are you testing to? If it's a FreeNAS and I recall correctly iSCSI does sync writes by default and NFS doesn't. Without a ZIL SSD you're going to see a pretty massive performance difference.

What kind of NAS are you testing to? If it's a FreeNAS and I recall correctly iSCSI does sync writes by default and NFS doesn't. Without a ZIL SSD you're going to see a pretty massive performance difference.
This is a Synology Rackstation RS818+ with mostly default settings. It contains 3 WD Red (4TB) drives using their SHR configuration.

I would go with NFS, due to easier debugging and maintenance.
However if your data is important, make sure NFS is not mounted / exported with async.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!