NFS issues when using /etc/hosts

screenie

Jul 21, 2009
I recently setup three 6.1 nodes in a cluster and added some existing NFS exports from my storage server i use since a couple years (Debian 7).
As i do not have an internal DNS server i've added an entry to the hosts file which i'm using in the PVE Storage config for the NFS Server but NFS connectivity isn't really working - sometimes one of the PVE hosts can connect but i'm getting mostly:
'Dec 30 15:03:23 Server01 pvestatd[1450]: unable to activate storage 'vmbackups' - directory '/mnt/pve/vmbackups' does not exist or is unreachable'

Tried different things but only if i use the ip address of the storage server in the PVE Storage config instead the hostname i entered into /etc/hosts it's working properly.

Do i miss anything?
Or is this something with the older NFS version running on Debian 7?

that's how it looks like on all of the servers... not seeing anything wrong here...
and i'm not finding anything in the logs except that the pve hosts complain that the storage does not exist or is not reachable when using the name from below

root@server01:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.100.11 server01.homelab.local server01
192.168.100.12 server02.homelab.local server02
192.168.100.13 server03.homelab.local server03
192.168.100.50 storage01.homelab.local storage01

i see.

i guess your best bet is to run tcpdump on the NFS server and the connecting node, see what's exactly happening on the network stack.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!