NFS issue - cfs lock?

bferrell

Nov 16, 2018
So, admittedly, my linux skills are not awesome, but I have been using Proxmox with a FreeNAS storage for awhile now, and I want to use one of my large NFS shares that has been working great for backups for VM images as well as I have one large (NextCloud) VM that I have been using local host storage for that I would like to move to shared cluster storage.

I have edited the storage in the PVE UI to include Images, and it shows up properly in the UI, and I was able to create a small VM on this image, but if I try to create a large VM I get cfs lock errors. I'm sure I've configured something wrong, but reading the docs I haven't been able to find it, so I appreciate any pointers.

"TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 506 - error with cfs lock 'storage-Backup48': unable to create image: got lock timeout - aborting command"

nfs: Backup48
export /mnt/Backup48/Backup48
path /mnt/pve/Backup48
server 192.168.101.101
content backup,images
maxfiles 20
options vers=3

Attachments

• VM-on-NFS.png
    VM-on-NFS.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 35
Note that I've done some testing, and it seems it will let me create a VM with a disk image up to about 400G, but if I try 450G or greater I get the error. The share is 48TB of space with over 75% available.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I figured it out, I created a raw disk instead of qcow, and that seems to have worked... I need to play with it a bit more, but is that the right path to be on? Also, I created a second drive, but could I create a raw drive for the image as well? Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!