NFS Hanging/Shares Inaccessible on 4.15.17-3-pve

trystan

Dec 15, 2017
I have a three node cluster, the 4.15.17-3-pve kernel is freezing NFS client access on one host (Supermicro X8DT3)

The only difference on this server is a balance-rr setup that directly connects to the NFS server (Fully updated proxmox host.)

Rolling back to the previous 4.15.17-2-pve kernel solves the NFS hanging.

Interestingly enough, when I first boot with the 4.15.17-3-pve kernel I can cd into the mount and browse the NFS share, it's only when booting a VM that freezes the system.

Here's the storage config on the client:
Code:
nfs: vm
        export /rpool/data
        path /mnt/pve/vm
        server sionis-nfs
        content images,rootdir
        maxfiles 8
        nodes cyrus,lucius
        options vers=4.2,async,hard,tcp,noatime

Here's the export on the server:
Code:
/rpool/data 172.16.8.54(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,crossmnt)

Check your logfiles (journal/syslog) and performance monitoring. From your description it seems, that your NFS (or network) is to slow.

Alwin, while you might be correct, can you explain why would a bit older version of kernel work just fine?
He stated: "Rolling back to the previous 4.15.17-2-pve kernel solves the NFS hanging."

I noticed a lot of commits for Intel NIC module changes on the new kernel build.

The network is a 3x 1GB bonded direct attach with round robin. Literally 3 1gb ports directly connected to 3 1gb ports between 2 proxmox hosts.

On the newer kernel I'm unable to even load df -h because of the system freeze.

pve-kernel (4.15.17-12) unstable; urgency=medium

* backport fix for SUN NICs when used with Open vSwitch

* update and re-enable out-of-tree Intel ethernet drivers (e1000e, igb, ixgbe)

-- Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com> Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:18:32 +0200

pve-kernel (4.15.17-10) unstable; urgency=medium

* update to Ubuntu-4.15.0-22.24

* update ZFS to 0.7.9-pve1

-- Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com> Tue, 22 May 2018 11:15:44 +0200
There was a change back to the OOT intel nic drivers. This well can have a influence, try to use a different bond algorithm, like active-backup, to see if this solves the problem. The balance-rr will under load send packages out-of-sync and that might cause issues, depending on software.

There was a change back to the OOT intel nic drivers. This well can have a influence, try to use a different bond algorithm, like active-backup, to see if this solves the problem. The balance-rr will under load send packages out-of-sync and that might cause issues, depending on software.
I'll give a different algo a try when I can.

I was/am on the older kernel getting great speeds over round robin with NFS though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!