NFS Backup Storage Problem after updating FreeNAS Server

Jan 15, 2010
Hello,

i have a cluster of 7 Proxmox Server that are using a FreeNAS Server as an NFS Storage for the daily vzdump Backups.

I now recently updated my old freenas server from V 11.1 to 11.3 and then to the newest Version TrueNAS V12.

I change the NFS to Version 4, but after that i have a strange behavior in the daily backups.

From some servers in the cluster i get the failure "backup failed: could not activate storage 'NAS-NFS': storage 'NAS-NFS' is not online", must 3 are working and 4 have a failure.

All use the same storage conf and are rebooted after the storage change. But sometimes the backup works, sometimes not.

At the weekend, on 1 server the Backup failed on saturday and worked on sunday, without a chanage from me (no reboot, service restart or something)

The ProxMox Server use the Version 6.4.5

In the WebGUI, the nfs Storage works on all 7 Servers, only the backup says it could not activate the storage.

With kind regards,

Marcel

Last edited:
Hi,

Is the failing backup on all VMs/CTs? or specific VMs?

In the WebGUI, the nfs Storage works on all 7 Servers, only the backup says it could not activate the storage.
have you tried to turn off ARP in the freenas?

Hi Moayad,

no specific VMs, the server backup completly not works.

I get an e-mail from vzdump with the title:

vzdump backup status (serverxxx.domain.lan) : backup failed: could not activate storage 'NAS-NFS': storage 'NAS-NFS' is not online

in the inside at the detailed backup logs are only the dump order, no logs:

Detailed backup logs:

vzdump --nodeserverxxx --mailnotification always --storage NAS-NFS --all 1 --compress zstd --quiet 1 --mailto xxx@domain.de --mode snapshot

No, haven´t used ARP in the TrueNAS server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!