nfatbles statful or statsless?

Hello
Thank you for your answer
when I activate the nftables and in vm set outbound traffic for a port to block keeping the inbound of the same port to enabled, the traffic will stop.
I am using nftables and firewall with default settings. while if I disabled nftables it works fine. do you know what is the issue?

Hello
when I activate the nftables and in vm set outbound traffic for a port to block keeping the inbound of the same port to enabled, the traffic will stop.
I am using nftables and firewall with default settings. while if I disabled nftables it works fine. do you know what is the issue?
You will need to add a CT rule to your firewall chain, otherwise nftables is stateless:

Code:
ct state established,related accept

Hello
with the new proxmox nftables implementation ?

if yes ,can you send the result of

"nft list table bridge proxmox-firewall-guests"

?

Last edited:
with the new proxmox nftables implementation ?
ah, i though we were talking just about nftables in general not the firewall implementation - my mistake. The proxmox implementation is stateful.

Did you already upgrade to proxmox-firewall 0.4.2 ? There was a bug with conntrack that has been fixed in this version.

Did you already upgrade to proxmox-firewall 0.4.2 ? There was a bug with conntrack that has been fixed in this version.
Here is the installed nft version nftables v1.0.6 (Lester Gooch #5). how to get the version of proxmox-firewall?

ah, i though we were talking just about nftables in general not the firewall implementation - my mistake. The proxmox implementation is stateful.

I found it statless. I already upgraded proxmox to up to date

yes, i have that version mentioned below
ii proxmox-firewall 0.4.2 amd64 Proxmox's nftables-based firewall written in rust

I got this in system log. so i disabled nftables
###############################################
proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commandsMay 28 00:20:17 host-104 proxmox-firewall[76896]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commandsMay 28 00:20:22 host-104 proxmox-firewall[76896]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commandsMay 28 00:20:27 host-104 proxmox-firewall[76896]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commandsMay 28 00:20:32 host-104 proxmox-firewall[76896]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commandsMay 28 00:20:37 host-104 proxmox-firewall[76896]: proxmox_firewall: error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commands
#####################################################

Would it be possible for you to provide me with more detailed logs? Then I could take a look at your issue. You can run the firewall in foreground shortly with the following command:

Code:
RUST_LOG=trace /usr/libexec/proxmox/proxmox-firewall 2> firewall_log_$(hostname).txt

After running it, you can immediately cancel it with CTRL + C and provide me with the created file.

Code:
RUST_LOG=trace /usr/libexec/proxmox/proxmox-firewall 2> firewall_log_$(hostname).txt
Hello,
Here is the log as requested
######################################################
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2818 {"add":{"rule":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","chain":"guest-864-out","expr":[{"jump":{"target":"allow-ndp-out"}}]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2819 {"add":{"rule":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","chain":"guest-864-out","expr":[{"jump":{"target":"allow-ra-out"}}]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2820 {"add":{"rule":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","chain":"guest-864-out","expr":[{"match":{"op":"==","left":{"payload":{"protocol":"ether","field":"type"}},"right":"arp"}},{"accept":null}]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2821 {"add":{"element":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","name":"vm-map-in","elem":[["tap864i0",{"goto":{"target":"guest-864-in"}}]]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2822 {"add":{"rule":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","chain":"guest-864-in","expr":[{"accept":null}]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2823 {"add":{"element":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","name":"vm-map-out","elem":[["tap864i0",{"goto":{"target":"guest-864-out"}}]]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z DEBUG proxmox_firewall] cmd #2824 {"add":{"rule":{"family":"bridge","table":"proxmox-firewall-guests","chain":"guest-864-out","expr":[{"accept":null}]}}}
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z ERROR proxmox_firewall] error updating firewall rules: cannot execute nftables commands
[2024-05-28T20:15:43Z INFO proxmox_firewall] firewall update time: 105ms
[2024-05-28T20:15:48Z INFO proxmox_firewall] removing existing firewall rules
###########################################################################################################

That's only a small part of the logs - if you could somehow send me the whole file that would help a lot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!