Newish User - Boot issue

Doug Fletcher

Feb 3, 2018
I've been using proxmox in my home lab for a little over a year now. I have it installed on a supermicro micro server with 64GB ram and several local hard drives (SSD, Spiining rust, etc). Proxmox was orininally installed to a usb flash drive (mostly because that is how I install esx on other systems in the past). The system has been working flawlessly for the past year, but over the weekend we had a series of power blips (it is on a UPS), but something must have happened to the boot usb thumb drive.

I can not get it to boot for any of the options in the grub menu or the advanced menu. Screenshots are attached. I did boot from the install media (virtually mounted iso image file) and chose proxmox rescue boot option. It booted with my environment fully intact. My question is, how to I repair the usb thumbdrive? There is nothing critical on this system, but I thought this would serve as a great learning experience on how to possible recover a damaged proxmox installation. I was going to just do a reinstall... but I'm not sure if that will wipe my system clean, or if it will recognize that proxmox was previously installed and just repair the boot issue.

A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I can provide an additional files or screenshots that you feel are important.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Attachments

• iKVM_capture4.jpg
    iKVM_capture4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6
  • iKVM_capture2.jpg
    iKVM_capture2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
  • iKVM_capture1.jpg
    iKVM_capture1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5
  • iKVM_capture.jpg
    iKVM_capture.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm pretty much in the same place with experience.

Sounds like something changed or corrupted where grub is looking for proxmox in the wrong place.
When it worked, were there different drives connected or in a different order?
The /boot/grub/grub.cfg has specific LVM UUID entries.
I wonder if pure UUID is not possible? Or not implemented...

The supergrub2 ISO might be helpful to see if it will boot without the repair mode, maybe track down what entry grub needs.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. Just cant boot from the usb thumbdrive anymore. Booting from the cdrom that was used to install using the rescue option seemes to work just fine... so i guess if no one has any suggestions, i'll just see what happens if I try to "reinstall".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!