Newbie - Supermicro BPN-SAS-826EL1 Back Plane

Mark32i5b

Apr 24, 2021
Dear All.

I have just got my hands on a SuperMicroserver to start my virtualisation learning and home lab environment. The sever has 12 hot swappable basy and come with a SAS-826EL1 back plane. for the past week I have tried to install Proxmox with limited success. Before I go to deep putting VMS on the server, I would like to know if I have the basics right through the Bios first.

SAS card see all the drives.

With any form of raid, through the SAS card, Proxmox would only see the SataDom drive i have connected to the X10DRU-i+ motherboard.
I have managed to now get Proxmox installed on the SataDom and seeing all the drives, but this is only when I have enabled JBOD, in the SAS backplane configuration

So my question is, is this the best way (using JBOD), or should I use another method to ensure the install of Proxmox is sound before I start to create storage pool within Proxmox?

Thanks for any advise

What RAID controller do you have i that server? Have you checked if there are updates available for the BIOS, the RAID controller firmware and so forth?

Other than that, unless there is someone around with the same hardware, it is hard to guess what could help.

What RAID controller do you have i that server? Have you checked if there are updates available for the BIOS, the RAID controller firmware and so forth?

Other than that, unless there is someone around with the same hardware, it is hard to guess what could help.
Hi Arron,

That for the reply and sorry for my late reply. Below are the details of my system: -

Raid Controller = SAS-826EL1
Controller Software - AVAGO MegaRAID SAS-MFI BIOS, Version 6.36.00.2 - With the system setup with no raid and JBOD
Server - Supermicro X10DRU-i+

Regards

I don't think the SAS-826EL1 is the controller itself. It seems to refer to the back plane. This back plane has an expander built-in.
If you are using a LIS/Avago/Broadcom card, check what card it is (HBA/MegaRAID) and make sure it's up-to-date with all firmware
and BIOS updates. If this is a Supermicro branded card, you should get these from the Supermicro site, otherwise, go to Broadcom's
site. Also check your BIOS settings, eg. Legacy vs. UEFI, depending on how new the card is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!